UD-3900 rev B2 not detecting monitors after Jul 7th Windows 10 Home updates

Hey, there! I’ve just updated Win 10 (Jul 7th updates) on my Asus UX330-U laptop. Now the docking station is not recognizing two HP 22CWA displays (one HDMI, one VGA). I tried the troubleshoot posted on 5/21: [https://support.plugable.com/t/windows-update-may-2021-problem/20591/2]. It didn’t help (the re-installing DisplayLink). My antivirus blocks your PlugDebug, so I don’t want to go down this road and collect the log. Would anyone, please, help? Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I am sorry to hear that your UD-3900 docking station is not functioning as expected after performing Windows updates on your ASUS laptop, and would be happy to provide additional support.

A quick and easy way to isolate the issue without any log files would be to confirm that dock encounters the same issue with a different computer.

Would you happen to have a second laptop to test with the dock? If not, please let me know so we can take a different troubleshooting approach.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I found the solution, I think. Go to device manager, select display adapters and select Plugable UD-3900. You might find a yellow exclamation point for the Plugable device. If you right clicked the icon for the plugable device, and selected , you might see that windows says that the device is not working because the drivers can’t load. When I saw that, I uninstalled the device then unplugged it. When I plugged the device back in, windows update reinstalled the proper driver. Problem fixed.

Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Vladik,

Hopefully this is a good solution, but I would be happy to try a different approach once the issue has been isolated.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks, Ryoma and Emmanuel, for your help.
R.: The only other laptop available is a work machine. Can’t afford risking tinkering it.
E.: I don’t see a Plugable device in Display Adapters. Only Intel, which I’ve multiple times reverted to MS Dasic Adapter. Btw, my DisplayLink app does not see any DisplayLink devices.
A USB mouse and keyboard work when connected to the dock, but monitors and audio do not. The dock’s front green light is on.
I’m emailing the Plugdebug log as suggested.
Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for the update!

Could you kindly confirm that the dock was connected to the computer at the time of log capture? I ask because I did not see it listed in the logs.

After reviewing the provided log files, I noticed that the current system BIOS is a outdated. The recent updates do have quite a few relevant fixes, so I would recommend updating to the latest BIOS version provided to see if that helps. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Save and close all open applications. Disconnect the dock from the computer, then ensure the computer is connected to power
  2. Download and execute the following BIOS update provided by your computer manufacturer: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/Winflash/Winflash_Win10_64_VER325.zip
  3. Follow along any listed steps, then your computer should reboot and the BIOS update should start
  4. Upon completion, log back into Windows, then reconnect the dock to your computer

If these steps help, great! If not, I’d be happy to try a different approach.

If you could also provide your Amazon Order ID (or other proof of purchase) associated with your Plugable device, I would be happy to check on your warranty status.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Ryoma,
Many thanks for following up. My bought the docking in Feb 2017 (placed Feb 16, shipped Feb 22).
Not sure I’m progressing on BIOS. After all the steps the version is still 315 (when calling in Command Propmt). The system did reboot.
My ASUS Live Update app does not find the need for updates.
Emailing a new Plugdebug log, I made sure the docking was connected.
Thanks again!

Hello,

Thank you very much for the update!

While your equipment is past our two year warranty period, we will do our best to continue troubleshooting the issue, and there are a few more things we can try going forward:

After reviewing the provided information, could you kindly confirm that the same issue occurs when a different USB 3.0 port is used instead?

Another option to consider would be uninstalling the July 7th windows update to see if that helps as well.

I understood that you don’t wish to “tinker” with your work laptop, but it would helpful to confirm if the dock works on another laptop to help isolate the issue. However, if you would prefer not to connect the dock to your work system, I definitely understand.

Thank you for your patience!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hey, Ryoma!
Thank you for staying on this. I greatly appreciate your and the company’s efforts.
Swapping USB’s didn’t help. MS updates roll-back didn’t help. These attempts didn’t return Plugable in the display adapter (Device Manager) menu. GOOD THING is that everything went normal itself! Plugable is there. Both HP monitors work. My MS updates have been on manual confirmation since last week, so I only installed the Tue Windows updates few minutes ago. My ASUS app does not reveal any updates done after my last message to you from July 10th. Because I have kept the VGA screen off power till today, I can’t say when the things got fixed.
Thanks again!

Hello,

No problem at all, and thank you again for contacting Plugable support!

If you have any further questions, or if the problem reoccurs, please do not hesitate to reach out again at any time.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.