UD-3900 intermittent disconnection

Hello,

I have a UD-3900 Docking station. It is connected to my laptop and I have one monitor, the ethernet cable and a wired mouse connected to the docking station. It has worked very nicely for me the first couple of months I have owned it.

Recently, I am experiencing random disconnections of the UD-3900. The reason I am describing the problem as a disconnection is the second monitor will go blank ( the open applications move back to the laptop monitor) and there is an audio cue that sounds the same as when you disconnect a USB device. The disconnection only lasts 3-5 seconds but it is really becoming annoying. It can happen while typing or when the machine is idle (no inputs).

I don’t think any settings have changed but there is always software updates occurring. I am running Windows10 Home on a Dell G3 17 laptop. Thank you for your help.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting! I am sorry things are not working as expected with your docking station and I would be happy to help.

Thank you as well for the excellent detail you provided about the behavior that is much appreciated. Based on your description, our first step is to completely reset the dock and perform a ‘clean’ installation of the latest version we recommend of the required DisplayLink driver to help ensure both are in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Please disconnect the dock from the system and please disconnect the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep everything disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, please just move onto the next step.
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it → https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot the system (even if not prompted to).
  5. Now download and install the 9.0 M1 DisplayLink software driver, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+9.0+M1.exe
  6. Reconnect the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on (a blue light will be present on the front), reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.
  7. If the problem behavior continues after having performed the above, please reconnect the dock to a different USB port within your Dell laptop (that helps rule out a specific USB port within the laptop as a contributor).

Please let us know if that helps!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.