UD-3900 doesn't provide video via ExpressCard USB 3 ports

I’m using a Gmyle ExpressCard to provide USB 3 ports on an older laptop running Windows 8.1. The ports work fine for a variety of devices I’ve connected to them (Blu-ray player, SSD drive, etc.), but when I connect my UD-3900, the dock does not provide video, although its USB ports work (it becomes a rather expensive USB hub). If I connect the UD-3900 to one of the laptop’s native USB 2 ports, the video functions, albeit with less-than-stellar performance. I believe I have the latest drivers for the ExpressCard, and I’ve also tried the “really clean” reinstall of the Plugable/DisplayLink drivers involving the cleaner app and the two reboots.

Is this a problem for the UD-3900 with all ExpressCard-provided USB 3 ports, or does my inexpensive Gmyle card just not muster up? I’d be willing to replace the ExpressCard with another model if someone could recommend a model that’s known to work with the UD-3900.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to help with your dock!

I don’t have any direct experience with the card you have, but given that you have performed a clean install of the driver and the dock works properly when connected to the USB 2.0 port I would be inclined to point to the card as the culprit. Looking online the brand you are using seems to be based on a ASmedia chipset. When Plugable used to sell USB 3.0 ExpressCards (we don’t anymore), we used a NEC/Renesas chipset with good results, I am still using one of them in one of my older test machines successfully with a UD-3900.

A quick search shows me that this card –> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASI… is using a NEC/Renesas chipset, manufacturer page with specs –> http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapter…

We haven’t tested this card and can’t guarantee results using another companies products, but it seems like a logical place to start.

Let us know if this information helps, and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

The StarTech USB 3 ExpressCard worked a treat; thanks. It was about $25 at Amazon, who delivered it today (Sunday!).

Besides being cheaper, the one thing I prefer about the Gmyle card is that it sits flush with the laptop when inserted; the StarTech extends a good 1-3⁄4", so I have to remove it when putting it in my carrying bag. But I can just leave the Gmyle card in the bag and use it on the road if needed; the StarTech will stay home with the USB from the UD-3900 still connected.

Thanks again for the tip.

Hi Rich, Thanks for getting back with the update. I’m glad the StarTech card is working properly. The Plugable cards we used to sell have the same form factor as the StarTech, and while I agree it isn’t ideal in terms of appearance, it seems to be more sturdy than the flush mount units.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

Bob