UD-3900 cutting off wi-fi on Surface 4 after Windows anniversary update

This all started with the Windows 10 anniversary update last year. Wifi on my Surface 4 disconnects immediately after plugging in my UD-3900. I’ve tried the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner, rebooted, done a clean install but no joy. Everything on UD-3900 seems to work, but wifi on my Surface cuts off so this dock is now useless.

Hope this does not happen to me

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description, it sounds like there might be some Wi-Fi interference happening here.

This type of behavior can occur any time a USB 3.0 device is connected to a system (not just our dock), because the speed of the data flowing over the connection operates at a similar frequency to many Wi-Fi connections (2.4Ghz). Intel has actually written a detailed technical White Paper on the issue for those who are curious (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/e…)

That things changed after the Anniversary update is unexpected, as this behavior is typical related to a physical factor like the proximity of the dock to the system or the frequency of Wi-Fi in use (2.4 vs. 5GHz).

There are a few different ways to mitigate the behavior, but the first step is to try and confirm that some sort of interference is the cause. The easiest way to do this is to use a USB 2.0 cable, like one used connect to a USB printer, instead of the USB 3.0 cable we provide to temporarily connect the dock to your system.

If you have such a cable available can you try swapping that in to see if that helps? Although one end of the USB 2.0 cable will be different than the USB 3.0 cable, it will fit in our dock.

Please just let me know the results when you have a moment, and we can determine the next steps from there.

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Bob,

You were right. Using a USB 2.0 cable works. I don’t know why it only started happening after the anniversary update. Up until the update it was all working fine. I haven’t changed the layout or placement of any of the components in the room or on the table. The wifi router is in the same room, some 2.5 metres away. I’ve got 2 monitors on my desk and UD-3900 sits in between the monitors, with the Surface some 15-20 cm in front of UD-3900 and the monitors (see photo). This is the way it’s always been…
!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1548741/20170207_175952_inline.jpg?1486490692)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1548741/20170207_175952.jpg?1486490692)

I’m grateful for any further insight/help.

Cheers,
H.

Thanks for getting back H.!

I am glad testing with the USB 2.0 cable has helped isolate the problem, and appreciate very much the photo you provided of your setup.

That no apparent physical element/factor changed but the interference started occurring is most unusual, so our best way forward is to be pragmatic.

I can’t quite tell from the photo if logistics allow for it, but one possible workaround if your wireless router has an available Ethernet port would be to connect an Ethernet cable from the dock to the router. If that is not an option, moving the dock and/or router slightly to make them further apart may also help.

If those items do not help or are not an option, if your wireless router supports using the 5GHz wireless band connecting from your Surface to the 5Ghz connection should help (as the frequencies in play are different). Your wireless router manual should tell you if the device supports 5Ghz, and also provide instructions for connecting in that manner. If it doesn’t just let me know the brand and model number of the router you are using and I should be able to provide additional instructions.

Please let me know if that information helps when you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you for your patience!

Bob