UD-3900 connected to pluggable KVM USB3 switch

I have an intel disktop old windows 7 VGA ports, and USB2 and a new Dell XPS12 laptop/tablet with powered USB3. The Dell tablet I use to commute between two places place 1 where the desktop is and place 2 in another city. The desktop is connected to two monitors in place 1. While place 2 has only two touch screen monitors.
Now the problem:
I need to connect the laptop to the peripherals (two monitors, keyboard and a mouth) in both places…
procedures:
1- Buying two pluggable UD-3900 USB 3 for the laptop. One in each place. So I can plug the laptop to the peripherals in either place 1 or 2
2- Install usb3 card in the desktop
3- Use KVM switch to switch between powered USB3 laptop and the desktop in place 1. Not needed in place 2. So, in place one KVM switch is connected to the dock UD3900 to the peripherals and to both USB3 in both laptop and desktop.
Questions:
1- Please let me know if this is correct or you have another solution.
2- Can I omit step 2 and use only USB2 of the desktop to connect with the dock.
3- If the system work what hardware do you recommend for docking and KVM switching.
Thanks for your help
Well

Hi Well,

Thank you so much for contacting us and asking! I’d be happy to assist.

Your understanding and the game plan looks very good for me. We have a USB Sharing Switch that can work with the UD-3900 very well.

Q1- Please let me know if this is correct or you have another solution.
A1- Yes, your plan makes sense and very organized. It should work fine.

Q2- Can I omit step 2 and use only USB2 of the desktop to connect with the dock.
A2- Yes, you can. USB 3.0 devices, including our UD-3900 docking station, are the USB 2.0 backward compatible. If the PC has only USB 2.0 ports (controller), the device will work as a USB 2.0 device with the transfer speed up to 480 Mbps (while USB 3.0 is up to 5 Gbps). Hence, from the performance perspective, it’d be better to use USB 3.0 card to the desktop, though.
I guess you could start with the new configuration without using USB 3.0 card in the desktop first, to check the performance on it. If you didn’t satisfy the performance, adding USB 3.0 card could make it faster. (But I cannot guarantee if it actually make it faster, since system performance depends on a lot of factors such as the CPU/GPU speed. )

Q3- If the system work what hardware do you recommend for docking and KVM switching.
A1- I’d like to recommend you to use our USB 3.0 sharing switch with the UD-3900.

This video also demonstrate how to connect the switch and the UD-3900.
http://youtu.be/dYy0tdMworg?list=UUTA…

I hope the above information helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again for contacting us and considering our products.

Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Support

Thanks Sachiko
I got the UD=3900 but unfortunately it did not work on Dell XPS12 even after updating the Pluggable drivers from your website. It keeps blinking the laptop screen, off and on, forever and never get a stable streaming. I expected the problem is the memory. This computer has 4 GB memory and runs 47% of memory resources at windows 8.1. What do you think the problem is and possible solutions?
Thanks
Well

Well,

We are sorry that you are seeing the problem with the UD-3900. I’ll response you privately to resolve the issue. Please expect another email shortly. Thank you for your patience!

Sachiko
Plugable Support