UD-160-A resolution

Hi!

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a monitor with 1920x1200 resolution with the UD-160-A? Doesn’t seem like that far a stretch from 1920x1080, but I could be wrong.

Also would it be possible to get one delivered to Sweden if I send you my paypal-mailadress? I know you normally don’t do deliveries outside the US but I also read that you might consider making an axception for this Norwegian fellow so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. :slight_smile:

Hi Bernie - Thanks for your prompt reply!

I’m loving the idea of an all-in-one docking station using only a single USB connector. However after having tried the different resolutions on my monitor that you mentioned I think I’ll have to wait for the next generation of the UD-160-A (or until my monitor breaks, whichever comes first).

I’d like to thank you though for a great site with a lot of interesting and useful information. It helped me get my recently purchased Lilliput UM-70 up and running with the default kernel in lucid in stead of using the mainline 2.6.34 build that wouldn’t shutdown or reboot my computer properly.

I’m also looking forward to the outcome of the GSoC project your sponsoring.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words! It makes a difference when people are aware about Plugable and what we do.

More for everyone else’s benefit: We expect the UD-160-A (with DL-165 chip) to be our premier USB 2.0 universal docking station for some time. It’ll be superseded only when USB 3.0 graphics devices are ready, which will probably be well into next year.

Hi Jonas - Thanks for your questions!

The UD-160-A has a DisplayLink DL-165 chip in it, which has a hard limit at 208K pixels, which means 1920x1080 (widescreen), 1600x1200 (4:3), 1680x1050 (16:10) are the highest modes supported.

So on a 1920x1200 monitor, the best available mode with the same aspect ratio (16:10) will be 1680x1050.

A good side effect about that is it won’t push the USB bus or the CPU as hard as 1920x1200 would. But you’ve obviously lost some detail.

If 1920x1200 is essential, the DL-195 chip in the UGA-2K-A does support that mode, able to drive those high-end monitors at their native resolutions.

On shipping :slight_smile: Sounds like you know, we don’t officially support shipping outside the USA, so there are some significant limitations (no returns, etc.) … but if you’re interested, just email your paypal email and shipping address to sales@plugable.com, and we’ll see what we can work out with the stock we’ve kept aside here. :slight_smile:

Thank you for going out of your way to find our products!
Bernie