Ubuntu 20.04 and new TBT3-UDZ USB Port Issues

Today was my first day of working full time on the new dock after receiving it yesterday. It’s connected to a Thinkpad T580 and I’m running Ubuntu 20.04 as my primary OS. The dock is seen, dual displays work, but randomly (and quite frequently) the usb ports appear to reset. The keyboard lights will flash and the mouse will stop working. Keyboard and mouse are on different ports (not like a usb hub).

I finally gave up and reconnected mouse/kb to the laptop to continue working. Is there anything I can do to get this to work under this distro of linux? This was a new installation from last night, and I’ve fully updated it to see if it could be a driver issue.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, we do not officially support or perform testing with this docking station and Linux. Because we do not know how this combination will behave, can you say if this system also behaved poorly on Windows with the dock? (If you’ve not ever tried it with Windows I understand.)

If the issue only happens within Linux, I would expect some kind of device driver problem. If it also happens in Windows, we may be hitting a low level issue with firmware on the system instead.

My general recommendations for a problem like this would be to ensure you have all of the most recent updates from Lenovo for the BIOS, and if there’s any Thunderbolt firmware updates available. I recall there being some critical updates for the T580 and other similar models that would affect the Thunderbolt controller functionality/stability: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508988-critical-intel-thunderbolt-software-and-firmware-updates-thinkpad

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.