UBS 2.0 Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000

What do the status lights mean. My adapter is showing an amber light and a green light. The amber light is flickering as if it shows network traffic. The green light is blinking steadily, once every two seconds. Installation was no problem, since it is working OK, but I was hoping for something closer to Gigabit speeds. I’m on a Mac Mini MC816LL/A using OS X 10.6.8, and the adapter was purchased to bypass the Mini’s ethernet port, which is no longer reliable. The native port is 10/100/1000, just like the Plugable USB2-E1000 adapter.

Hi William,

Thank you for posting the question here.

The green light indicates the LINK level connection and should stay on when connection made.

Is the network speed with the USB2-E1000 slower than what the original 10/100/1000 port of the system could provide?

Please note that the adapter is USB 2.0 device, and the max speed is limited to 480 Mbps that is USB 2.0 limit. According to our testing, the max speed of this adapter would be 200 - 250 Mbps under the best circumstance.

Since you say the green light is blinking, it’s possible that the adapter is faulty if it’s significantly slower than the original Ethernet port. Please directly contact us with the Amazon Order ID at support@plugable.com so that we can narrow down the issue with you.

Regarding to the network speed, there are a lot of factors other than the network interface (the adapter). For example if you are connecting the home network, the speed is limited by what the ISP can actually provide. Please remember that the ISP tells us “up to” speed but in reality it doesn’t get that maximum.

Please refer to our related post here for more details:
http://plugable.com/2015/12/10/gettin…

Hope this helps!

Sachiko
Plugable Technologies