two monitors 1920x1080 and 1280x1024 but want the second is stretched

I have a dell xps 15 and 2 external monitors. I can run only one a resolution that looks normal the other will not go above 1280x1024 and at that is is stretched horizontally. When I connect my laptop from work it works with the laptop monitor and the 2 external. What’s the problem with the Dell xps? I have a Dual Monitor Super Speed US 3.0 Model DisplayLink DL-3900 Please help.

One monitor is a Samsung (no idea what model) but it’s a curved screen I’m guessing 27" or less it’s at 1920x1080 and looks fine. The other is an LG 24 inch monitor (Flatron l227WTG) and looks stretched and will not go above 1280x1024. I don’t really care about the resolution, it’s plenty high but it’s stretched. You should also know that when I connect my laptop from work to this same docking station, it works fine driving both external and the laptop screen without an issue. I think this may be related to the XPS graphics abilities but I don’t know why it just works with one lap top and not the other.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

The stretching is caused by the aspect ratio, the ratio between the width and height of the screen being different from the current resolution.

I would expected the XPS to be able to drive both monitors correctly, lets start by isolating the fault, please perform the following:

1. Disconnect the docking station from the system
  2. Disconnect the Samsung monitor from the docking station
  3. Reconnect the docking station to the system
  4. Right click on the desktop and select “Display settings” from the drop-down menu
  5. Select the external monitor from the diagram at the top of the screen and scroll down to the “Resolution” sub-heading and check for the correct resolution from the drop down menu.

Please let me know if the Samsung monitor works correctly if it is the only monitor attached to the docking station. This additional information on the fault will help us determine the next step.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

When I do this, the LG monitor doesn’t connect at all, instead it displays a message…“Digital out of range 71.9kHz / 60Hz”. But, when I select to duplicate the screen and apply then back to extend it connected but still has a recommended resolution of 1280x1024. When I connect these same two monitors to my Lenovo desktop, that LG looks fine and is at 1680x1050. I’m thinking maybe the DELL XPS laptop maybe is using the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 card instead up the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5 or are my graphic cards complete by-passed with the docking station. It has both, could this be the issue? I really would like to get his resolved as I need the screen space and don’t want to return the docking station. Thanks

Hi Keith,

Thanks for trying with just one monitor connected, this is very strange behavior.

Based on your description of the behavior, our next step is to get some additional information from your system.

If you would, please keep the dock connected and both monitors attached (even though one is not working correctly) and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Please attach the zip file created on your desktop to an email to suport@plugable.com with the subject line “Ticket #223464: Attention Pat”, this will help us to make sure the attachment makes it to me to analyze the system state and help determine the next steps.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

debug zip has been sent