Two identical tablets but one doesn't connect to docking station

I have a Pro8 Docking Station that works great with my Dell Venue 8. I just bought a Nuvision 8 inch touch tablet hoping that it might work with the Pro8 Docking Station and it did! I was so thrilled with it working that I decided to buy a second one. However, the second tablet does not connect to the docking station. It charges but that is it. No green light. I have tried installing the drivers thinking that might be the issue but there is no improvement. Is there something else that might be preventing this tablet from connecting?

Hi Maren,

Thanks for contacting us! I’d be happy to assist you with this issue.

The first thing I would check if you can is that the Nuvision 8 tablets you have are identical. Look for any part or model #s and see if there is a difference. I’ve seen more than once where a model had an incremental change that affects things like this but the main model name to the consumer is the same.

If they are indeed the exact same model/part # then I suspect that they may have different software versions on them - specifically related to the systems and their BIOS. If you’re unfamiliar with the BIOS, it is basically what controls the tablet before it boots up into Windows - handling all of the low level basic functions such as charging, etc.

Nuvision may have info on any available BIOS updates on their website. Though you may need to contact their support about it.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!
Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

Thank you for your quick reply.

I discovered that the one that works is:
Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Quad-Core Processor 1.44 GHz with Intel Burst Technology up to 1.84 GHz; Intel HD Graphics with shared graphics memory

and the one that doesn’t work is:
Intel Atom Z3735F Quad-Core Processor 1.33 GHz with Intel Burst Technology up to 1.83 GHz; Intel HD Graphics with shared graphics memory

Would that be enough to make it not work with the docking station? Is there potentially a setting that would make it connect?

Actually, I just got that backwards. It’s the 1.44 GHz tablet that does not work.

Hi Maren,

Thanks for the info! That’s definitely enough of a different to affect the compatibility. I suspect that the underlying technology to support the new processor is either incompatible, or that they didn’t enable support for charging and data in the BIOS.

Aside from contacting their support on how to look for any settings in the BIOS that may change the behavior, I’m not sure there’s much else we can do in this situation.

We’ll likely need to update our compatibility charts to reflect this information about the two models.

Thanks,
Josh

Hi Maren,

I’ve not heard back in some time. If you need anything else just contact us at support@plugable.com

Best wishes,
Josh