Turning my laptop into a power house.

I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop with a docking station that supports two external monitors, but only one vga plus the laptop monitor, or one DVI,(special cable with pins missing), but not all three at the same time. How could I tell if the usb ports are 2.0 or 3.0 so I don’t order the wrong adapter. Also, I have a two monitor adapter in my 3 year old e-machine desk top, and I want to add a third monitor. Again, I am not sure about the USB support type. Can you help?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for posting your question here, I’ll be happy to help. USB 2.0 and 3.0 are compatible with each other so any of our USB adapters will work in any USB port. However a USB 3.0 device will only operate as USB 2.0 speeds if it’s connected to a USB 2.0 port.

The Dell D620 has USB 2.0 ports, so unless there’s a chance you’ll want to use the adapter with USB 3.0 in the future the USB 2.0 adapters will be fine.

As far as the e-Machines desktop, it’s possible that it has USB 3.0 but it wasn’t very common 3 years ago. If it does the plastic inside the USB connector will be blue. Also, if you send in the model I’ll be able to tell for sure.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

I checked on the back of my emachine and the USB ports are all black. Dang it. What about the speed of the USB 2.0 and your adapter? Will I have problems with refresh speeds? thanks for working with me.

Hi Ken,

You should be able to use your USB graphics adapter for all but the most demanding graphics applications. It does depend on the CPU and memory of the system so a more powerful system will have better results. You can read more about the hardware requirements on the product pages: http://plugable.com/products/UGA-2K-A/

Let me know what the make and model of monitor you have and also the model of machine you are going to connect to (if it’s the e-machine) and I can give a specific recommendation.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Ok then. I will get that in the morning. Forgot about finals, so I will do that now and get the rest for you later. With the e-machine, I am using emachine monitors. I have not found new ones, but I found an exact match to these. On the Dell, I was going to find some when I got to Russia this winter, but that may be a problem. I think they have VGA there, but I am not sure. Thanks.

Ok Ken,

Just let me know when you have the model of monitor, or the maximum resolution and the specs of the e-machine and we’ll get it squared away.

Jerome

Plugable Technologies