Turn my laptop with 4-monitor-max GPU into 6 monitor setup

Hi

I’d like to connect 6 monitors to my laptop. I currently have 4 connected via daisy chain into the 1 USB C port i have on my laptop. I also have an HDMI port and a mini DP on my laptop. If i try also utilize those ports to connect 2 more monitors it doesn’t work. My GPU only supports max 4. I’d like confirmation on what i need to buy to get around this 4 max limitation? The apps i will be running are 1 trading app with multiple windows, remote desktop connection to my work PC, and web browsers. No gaming. To make use of those 2 extra monitors would i need a Plugable docking station? or can this be done with a Plugable USB hub?

Setup I am thinking would be correct:

Host USB C to 4 monitors (daisy chain).
Host USB 3.0 to Plugable docking station to drive the 2 extra monitors (they are cheaper HDMI monitors but i may replace with better quality DP monitors)

thanks

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I am happy to help with that information.

When you have a moment, could you please let us know as many of the following details as you can:

• What is the Make and Model of your computer?

• What is the Make and Model of the displays that you wish to connect?

• What is the Make and Model of the existing display adaptors you are currently using?

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the chance to help!

Richard A
Plugable Technologies
https://plugable.com/support

Hi Richard

Asus ROG Strix GL702VM
4 x Monitor that are daisy chained : BenQ BL2485TC (USB C / DP)
2 x monitor i wish to connect are AOC E2270SWHN (HDMI/VGA). But in the future i wish to replace them with 2 more BenQ BL2485TC (USB C / DP)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060

thanks

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the update and sorry for the late reply.

Looking into the specs for that computer and those displays unfortunately, it is very limited what types of docking stations we can offer for the type of setup you are looking for.

The main obstacle would be supporting 4 displays using MST. Currently we do not have any docking stations that support MST and very limited docking stations that will support a direct Thunderbolt connection to a display.

I did want to clarify if you currently have the four Ben Q displays connected to your computer.

As for your other two displays, we may be able to recommend one of our USB 3.0 display link powered docking stations or display adapters that could be connecting to any existing docking stations you’re using, or two the displays that you currently have connected.

One thing to take into consideration with our DisplayLink USB adapters and docking stations do not support the type of Alt Mode connection to displays that use Thunderbolt or USB-C connections.

Thank you,

Richard A
Plugable Technologies
https://plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.