Trying to setup dual display using the USB4-HUB3A, Failed

Hello,
Hope someone can help. I am trying to setup a dual display using portable monitors I was gifted. The monitors are MSI Optix MAG162V. My computer is a NUCXI7 from MinisForum. The Thunderbolt 4 port on the pc works just fine when I plug a USB-C from the pc to the monitor. It powers and sends data to show display and sound. Just a single cord. When I try to plug the hub in, there’s no data being sent, just power from the hub. Am I doing something wrong? Have I found something that is not possible? I just want to simplify my cords to be less messy, but hopefully support can help.

Please and thank you.

Hello Justin,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your USB4-HUB3A, but I would be happy to help diagnose the issue here.

First, can you confirm that you are trying to connect to your laptop using the included Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with your dock? We’ve seen issues arise when a third party cable is used.

Next, some steps we’ll want to take are to perform a power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the dock back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals and displays connected to the dock
  2. Disconnect the docking station from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect docking station initially into power only
  5. Connect docking station to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and displays, then test for functionality

Please let me know if this helps at all.

Lastly, can you confirm that you are connecting the hub to the PC on the circled port below, and not one of the three downstream USB4/Thunderbolt 4 ports on the hub?

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I ran into the same issue. Last year I purchased 2 of these units. One for home and one for work. They both worked flawlessly with 2 external USBC powered portable monitors. Sometime around November - December, only 1 monitor would work. If I had 2 monitors connected, one would get a signal while the second read “No Signal”. If I unplugged monitor 1, monitor 2 would connect. I went through support and ran the diagnostics and updated my drivers to no avail. I believe (just speculation) that either a Microsoft or Dell update, broke the ability to use 2 external monitors connected to this hub. If I connect my second monitor directly to my Dell XPS13, I can have 2 monitors running at the same time, but not if they are both connected to the hub. This is disappointing (not Plugable’s fault). Just wanted to let you know so you won’t think the hub is faulty.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.