Trying to get a MacBook pro to "talk to" a VGA projector

I have looked all over the web - but connecting the cords isn’t the problem. The projector doesn’t recognize the computer. The “display” tab under the System Preferences doesn’t give the me the options suggested. Anyone have an idea?

Hi Lynne,

We responded to your support email earlier, and are pasting the response here as well in case the email didn’t reach you.

Thanks!
Gary

Gary Today 12:24

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for contacting Plugable! Sorry to hear about the issues, but I’ll be glad to assist.

Based on the behavior you’re describing, it seems like there could be a couple different potential reasons for the behavior. It could be an issue with the cable itself, or with the HDMI port on the MacBook. Many models of MacBooks don’t provide enough power to the HDMI port for the converter chip in the cable to work properly.

May I have the model of MacBook that you are using as well as the projector model to see if I can determine what the best next steps will be?

(We do mention potential Apple issues in the “Apple Compatibility” section of the Amazon listing: “Different Mac models vary substantially in the amount of power supplied to the HDMI port. The MacBook Pro 13” (mid-2014) and Mac Mini (mid-2011) have been tested and confirmed working. Use with other Mac models is not recommended.")

Thanks!
Gary