Thunderbolt/USB-C Adapter for US-3900 Docking Station

I just purchased a new Dell XPS 15 2-in-1. It does not have a USB 3.0 or 3.1 port, which is the port I use to connect my Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station for Windows into my old computer. The new computer has two Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type C) ports with “Power Delivery” on the left side, and two USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C ports with Power Delivery/DisplayPort on the right.

I’m not sure how to connect the Plugable to my new computer. What kind of adaptor will provide the best performance and reliability?

On my old computer, I connect a Dell 24" monitor via HDMI into the Plugable (and also other peripherals) and a Dell 38" curved monitor directly into the laptop using the mini DisplayPort.

Any assistance on how to configure this will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Thank you for being our royal UD-3900 customer, and posting the question! I am happy to assist.

The short answer is, an USB Type-A to C port adapter should work fine. Plugable has this product:

This adapter is for connecting a legacy USB 3.0 peripheral, such as UD-3900, to a new PC via USB Type-C port.

Plugable also has some various adapter/docking stations that work well with a latest USB 3.01/Thunderbolt3/PD compliant systems. If you are interested, please check out ‘USB 3.1 Type-C Computer Docking Stations’ and ‘Thunderbolt 3 Docking Stations’ categories in our product page:
https://plugable.com/products/

By using those devices, you can connect not only various USB devices through it, but also provide AC power at the same time to the system “with one USB-C cable”. This is what legacy USB 3.0 (with USB Type-A) peripherals cannot do.

I hope this helps! Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any other questions, please feel free to directly contacting us at anytime, at support@plugable.com.

Best Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Support

Thank you for your assistance. I ordered the new Thunderbolt dock because I want to get the best performance for all my peripherals and to be able to charge my computer when it’s docked.

Ernie

Great!

if you have any questions or concerns about our products, please do not hesitate to contact us at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Sachiko