Thunderbolt right angle USB-C

Looking for a right angle USB-C adapter that supports Thunderbolt 2 or 3.

Any suggestions?

This one doesn’t work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XHQJG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one maybe? https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapter-Extension-Connector-Oxsubor/dp/B07PHQR8P9/ref=sr_1_5

Thanks!

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Please be aware Thunderbolt 2 and 3 are entirely different, so you’ll not be able to mix these two standards when searching for products. Thunderbolt 2 uses a “Mini DisplayPort” connection, where Thunderbolt 3 uses a “USB-C” connection.

For the USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 connection, right angle adapters are not officially supported by Intel and the Thunderbolt 3 standard. These kinds of adapters can degrade the signalling or cause damage in some cases and should never be used.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Thanks, Joshua. So I have a TB2 device, but a TB3 USB-C port on my laptop. It is currently working with a TB3-to-TB3 adapter/dongle (I think this one came from Apple). But, it sticks out too far.

So, I’m asking for something that doesn’t exist?

Thanks for the info about using an adapter!

Unfortunately, for Thunderbolt 3, no Intel approved/certified right angle adapter solution exists at this time that I am aware of. This is in part due to the extreme bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3. Introducing an adapter will have a negative impact upon the signal integrity. USB-C adapters like those linked to just won’t be up to the task since they’re not designed for Thunderbolt 3 speeds, and there can also be issues with incorrect Power Delivery signalling when an adapter is used (this can cause the adapter to not receive power, or could cause damage to the device or host system).

Best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.