Thunderbolt 3 Dock for 2017 MBP ...Sound not working before or after Catalina update

I’ve been using this for about 10 months and it’s been relatively stable. Yesterday, I went to do a group video call expecting my Rode Podcaster (USB Mic) to be working as usual, along with my Bose external speakers (also USB)…nope.

Rebooted…still not working. Unplugged the dock, plugged it back in…still not working. Moved the USB plugs around…still not working.

Decided to allow the Catalina update hoping that’d bring my stuff back…nope.

Any other ideas?

Hi Kristian,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Plugable support forums!

Based on your description, the first steps we’ll want to take are to perform a power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the dock back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals connected to the dock
  2. Disconnect docking station from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect docking station initially into power only
  5. Connect docking station to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and test for functionality

Please let me know if this helps at all and we can take the next steps from there.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.