The two computers are not kissing up to each other.

I keep getting a message that my two computers are not connected. I have a Gateway with windows 7, 64 bit, and a Dell with Windows XP 32 bit. I have plugged the transfer cable into various USB docks on both computers. I installed the Easy Transfer for Windows 7 on the Gateway. I installed the Easy Transfer program from plugable.com/easy-transfer on the Dell using direction “1.” Now what do I do?

Hi Ace-

Thanks for posting and keeping a sense of humor!

I think what needs to happen here is you’ll need to install the updated 32 bit version of WET (Windows Easy Transfer) on the older XP dell from the link below BEFORE trying to start : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downlo…

If you’ve already done this, I’m hopeful that one of the coping mechanisms I’ve posted here will help: http://plugable.com/2013/01/14/troubl…

Please let me know if this helps or if you’ve other questions- if you’re using the troubleshooting post feel free to comment there and I’ll reply there.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies

Jeff, I have followed all of the directions except for the “.bak” and the “Dwebb83.” The “.bak” doesn’t seem to apply, and I failed to find “Dwebb83.” Now what do I do?

Jeff, the message I keep getting: Windows Easy Transfer can’t connect to your other computer. Both computers show that the cable is connected and they have the right drivers. I followed Pareee’s post directions. Thank you for hanging in there with me. Ace

Hi Ace-

Thanks for trying all the steps I’ve posted about so far, and verifying that none applied. As you can see, a variety of issues can affect Windows Easy Transfer connections.

Rather than continuing troubleshooting Windows Easy Transfer, we can try working around the problem using Bravura Easy Computer Sync. Since you mention that the driver is installed properly on both computers, thanks for verifying that, we should be good to go with Bravura. If you’ve not received the mail from us with your product key for Bravura shoot an email to support@plugable.com with a link to this thread and your Amazon order ID and I’ll re-send it for you.

Two other possibilities are detailed in this thread, although I typically find these fixes relevant when Easy Transfer crashes after establishing a connection and starting a transfer: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wi…

My best advice at this stage is to see if we can get you up and running with Bravura, please let me know if you need the email resent on that.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies

Jeff, thank you for your help. I went and bought an external hard drive, Seagate, 1TB. I was unable to get the Dell to dump its contents on to the Seagate. So went ahead and down loaded Bravura on both computers. I really had to work hard to outwit all the extra stuff that I believed was useless (I wish I had been warned about the small print). I kept going and finally got the to Bravura download, which was easy.

The Bravura worked like a charm. I checked all the boxes offered to be transmitted to the new computer. In fifteen or twenty minutes all the stuff was transferred to the new Gateway.

My wife is very happy. Thank you helping me be a hero.

Ace

Hi Ace-

Thanks for the feedback regarding Bravura- as you can see it’s a great alternative when Windows Easy Transfer isn’t behaving well.

Best wishes and thanks for letting me know what was helpful.

Jeff