TBT4-UDZ ejecting MicroSD

Hi,

Grabbed a MicroSD out of my GoPro and inserted it into the MicroSD slot. Works like a champ and is still available on my desktop. May sound silly, but how do you get the MicroSD back out? Pushing on it won’t eject it, and it’s flush in to the dock. I don’t believe I could get enough force on tweezers to pull it out. Is there an eject button that I have missed?

• Al

Hello Al,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

For context about the MicroSD slot operation and in case others who read this are curious, here’s the expected operation when using the MicroSD slot:

• The MicroSD card slot is a 'spring loaded’ slot. When the docking station is in the horizontal position, you simply insert the MicroSD card into the slot with the SD card label facing downwards until you hear a ‘click’.

• To remove the MicroSD card, simply press on the visible edge of the card with your finger nail and then release. A spring inside the slot will gently push the card outward. Once the card has been released, continue to remove the card from the slot.

So since those actions to eject the MicroSD are not working for you then it sounds like the card may be stuck. I’m terribly sorry for this inconvenience.

What I recommend:

1. Take a thin blunt object (I used tweezers) and slide it into the edge of the full size SD slot above the MicroSD slot:
  2. Press upwards on the inside of the top of the full size SD slot. This will essentially shift/flex the entire card reader assembly and may help to free the card like it did as shown below:
  3. Try to eject the MicroSD card manually while pressing upwards if it doesn’t eject on its own during this process.

This is not really something I would expect to normally encounter, but in my case the MicroSD card was noticeably too thick and it was binding on the case (the card was a generic unknown brand). However, I think more likely in your case the MicroSD slot may be misaligned with the case.

If you’re able to get the card out, I’d like to send you a pretested (known-good) replacement dock under warranty and see if the MicroSD slot now works as expected for you.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

That definitely helped, thank you! I was able to get the MicroSD card out enough that I could get the head of a screw driver to catch the lip of the MicroSD and pull the chip out. I’ll use a SD-MicroSD adapter in the future and only use the larger slot going forward.

Thanks again,

• Al
1 Like

I’m glad that information was helpful!

Should you run into further troubles with the dock, MicroSD or otherwise definitely let me know.

The SD/MicroSD adapter is a good workaround as well (although our offer for a replacement dock still stands if you decide you want to try one in the future).

Thank you and best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.