TBT4 Setup Questions

I purchased and setup a TBT4-UDZ and am very happy as it does what I needed and wanted it to do.

I am using the TBT4-UDZ with an M1 Max MacBook Pro and would appreciate answers to the following:

Charging: i) Are the USB 2.0 port on the front with the “power icon” and the USB-C port on the rear with the “power icon” the other ports (excluding the one to the host connection) the only ports that can be used to charge devices (i.e., cell phone)? ii) Can all USB ports be used to power / run bus powered devices (i.e., external drives)?

Firmware Upgrades: i) Are there any firmware upgrades that need to be done? ii) Can firmware upgrades be done through Windows 11 running on Parallels or do I need a natives Windows 10 / Windows 11 laptop?

Power Button: Does the power button on the TBT4-UDZ station mirror the power button on by MacBook Pro (i.e., can the TBT4-UDZ’s power button be used to power on / power off my MacBook Pro)?

I look forward to yoru responses.

Hello Joel,

i) Are the USB 2.0 port on the front with the “power icon” and the USB-C port on the rear with the “power icon” the other ports (excluding the one to the host connection) the only ports that can be used to charge devices (i.e., cell phone)? ii) Can all USB ports be used to power / run bus powered devices (i.e., external drives)?

All of the USB ports on the dock support charging of small devices and bus powered USB devices. The ports with the power icon just support a higher wattage of 7.5W vs 4.5W from standard USB ports. The details on all of the ports can be found on the product page on our website:

https://plugable.com/products/tbt4-udz

i) Are there any firmware upgrades that need to be done? ii) Can firmware upgrades be done through Windows 11 running on Parallels or do I need a natives Windows 10 / Windows 11 laptop?

So far, there are no firmware updates for the TBT4-UDZ, so we cannot speak to how the process would be for updating the firmware on this device.

Does the power button on the TBT4-UDZ station mirror the power button on by MacBook Pro (i.e., can the TBT4-UDZ’s power button be used to power on / power off my MacBook Pro)?

No, this is not a feature that is possible with the power button on the TBT4-UDZ

Thank you,

Evan

Plugable Technologies

www.plugable.com/support

Evan, much thanks for your responses, they are greatly appreciated and most helpful!

Joel