TBT3-UDZ USB ports not working with direct connect from mouse/keyboard

I’ve been using this for quite a while and the only things plugged in had been a KVM with a USB connection; the mouse and keyboard were connected to the KVM. That was working just fine. I recently moved my work area and the hub is now connected directly to a single laptop. The hub is working just fine to pass through power and network (no monitor currently connected), but the mouse and keyboard are not seen.

They mouse and keyboard work just fine when connected directly to the laptop.

The laptop is a Thinkpad T480, all the drivers are current. I’ve gone through the unplug everything and reconnect things one at a time more than once, to no avail. I tried plugging the mouse and keyboard into a USB 2 hub and plugging that into the TBT3-UDZ (yes, a bit desperate) and that similarly didn’t work.

Hello Roland,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Very odd to hear that now with the dock going to only a single laptop that you are unable to get the keyboard and mouse working through it, but that the Ethernet is still working along with charging.

Do other kinds of USB devices you have work as expected (not sure what you have there to test, but I’m curious if any USB storage like a flash drive, or external hard drive, etc may work).

Looking at the specifications for the T480, it looks like it has both USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports:
"one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (with the function of Power Delivery and DisplayPort)
one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of PD and DP)"

Can you say which connection the dock is currently connected to? Also, I’m curious if trying the other connection if you notice any change in behavior.

Finally, we have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. If you are able, please plug the dock with your devices attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When emailing us the diagnostics results file (please don’t post it here!) be sure to reference ticket #415349 in the subject line. I can then take a look from a software perspective and see if anything stands out and can then hopefully offer some next steps.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Well, mark me as a idiot. I had it plugged into the non-Thunderbolt port. I would have sworn that’s what I used when it was connected to the KVM, but since it works just fine plugged into the “other” (Thunderbolt) port, yep, it’s working fine.

1 Like