TBT3-UDZ not working with Dell XPS Desktop

Just purchased the TBT3-UDZ dock and can’t get it to work with my desktop. It works with my Dell laptop. Help!

Hello John,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your TBT3-UDZ. Can you clarify how you are connecting the dock to the desktop computer? Our Thunderbolt 3 docks have proven to not work consistently with Thunderbolt 3 add-in-cards on desktop PC’s, and we call out their incompatibility on our website.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I’m connecting to the thunderbolt cable to the back panel USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port on the Dell desktop. I also tried the front panel USB Gen 1 Type-C port. I tried the thunderbolt cable on both the front and back of the dock.

Hello John,

Thank you for the response.

In general, USB-C ports on desktop computers do not support video output, as desktop computers have dedicated video ports such as VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort built in. Because of this, we do not expect our dock to work with your desktop to output displays from any of the USB-C ports.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Do you make a product that would work with the desktop and a laptop?

Hello John,

Our DisplayLink based docking stations (excluding our triple-display docks) should have no issue working with both a laptop and a PC, as it only needs a USB 3.0 port instead of a USB-C port that supports video output.

A good alternative to the TBT3-UDZ may be our UD-6950Z DisplayLink docking station. This dock can support up to two 4K displays @60Hz via DisplayPort or HDMI, and can connect via USB 3.0 Type-A or Type-C. Note that this dock will not charge your laptop, so the original power adapter will need to remain connected.

While DisplayLink is good for general productivity tasks, it is not recommended for graphic intensive tasks such as gaming or video editing.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.