TBT3-UDZ + Logitech Unifying does not work

Dear Support,

I have the following configuration

1. Logitech MX keys and MX Master 3 + Unifying USB adapter
  2. TBT3-UDZ dock station
  3. Lenovo T490 laptop (Machine Type Model:20N20042US), with the following configuration
    Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 GHz
    Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Version: 21H2
    OS build: 19044.1526
    Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

When connecting Unifying adapter directly to the laptop – all works well.
However if I plug the Unifying adapter to dock station, it’s not recognized and keyboard and mouse do not work.

I’ve tried to connect another Lenovo laptop Yoga C940-14IIL and it works well with Unifying adapter via dock station

Could you please advise what could be the issue and how it could be fixed.

Best Regards,
Stanislav

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

You mentioned “I’ve tried to connect another Lenovo laptop Yoga C940-14IIL and it works well with Unifying adapter via dock station”
Thanks for this information. It is very interesting to hear that another computer worked with the Unifying receiver and dock without issue.

For your T490 where this is not working, do you know if other USB devices work OK and that it’s just the Unifying receiver with the issue? Or do no USB devices work?

How about Ethernet and/or audio?

I ask because sometimes the Thunderbolt 3 dock must first be authenticated (approved) in the Thunderbolt Control Center software before USB devices, Ethernet, and audio can function. If unfamiliar with Thunderbolt authentication see here: http://plugable.com/tbt3auth

If the dock is already authenticated on the T490 and the Unifying receiver is still not working, we have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:
http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When emailing us the diagnostics results please mention ticket #369569 in the subject line, do not post them here.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

For your T490 where this is not working, do you know if other USB devices work OK and that it’s just the Unifying receiver with the issue? Or do no USB devices work?

I’ve check with USB-stick. None of USB-A are working (neither 5Gbps nor 10Gbps).
Not working means - laptop does not see USB-stick (if connected directly it works well)

How about Ethernet and/or audio?

I don’t have a chance to check these. However this is what works well connected via dock station

1. Monitor with speaker connected via DisplayPort. Both audio and video works well
  2. Logitech StreamCam connected via USB-C port on dock station. Both microphone and camera works well

Thunderbolt 3 dock must first be authenticated (approved) in the Thunderbolt Control Center

The challenge is that Thunderbolt Control Center does not show any devices connected. Even though dock station is connected, and monitor is working at the same time.

When emailing us the diagnostics results please mention ticket #369569 in the subject line

Sent you an email with requested logs.

Thank you for the information and for sending the diagnostics.

Looking at the diagnostics I see your system is one affected by a potential problem with its Thunderbolt 3 controller:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508988

It is possible this may be related to the USB device problems with the dock and may also explain why the dock is not being detected by the Thunderbolt 3 controller. (Please note, I do see the Thunderbolt 3 controller detected OK in the diagnostics.)

I recommend to try the following Thunderbolt 3 firmware update to see if there is any improvement with the behavior: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t490-type-20n2-20n3/downloads/DS541364

I also recommend to ensure you’re using the provided Thunderbolt 3 cable the dock shipped with if not already doing so. (If using a third party C cable it may prevent the dock from communicating with the Thunderbolt controller properly.)

If these recommendations do not help please let me know.

Thank you!
Josh

Thanks for the prompt response.

I’ve installed suggested patches, but it did not resolve the problem. The situation is still exactly the same.

Do you have any other suggestions how to address the issue?

P.S. Yes, I’m using original cable supplied with the dock station.

Thank you for trying those suggestions and confirming using the provided cable.

Unfortunately I am uncertain what to suggest as the next step. We know the dock itself should be OK since it’s working on another system. Because the Thunderbolt update has not helped it could indicate a problem with the Thunderbolt controller that was unable to be resolved via the update.

If you have access to a different Thunderbolt 3 device it could help us confirm if the Thunderbolt controller appears to be the problem by seeing if it also is not detected in the Thunderbolt Control Center. I understand if you do not.

You may ultimately wish to contact Lenovo and see if they can run any kind of diagnoses on the Thunderbolt controller in the system or can offer any kind of warranty repair if the controller is the problem.

My apologies that I do not have a conclusive solution at this time.

Best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.