TBT3-UDV-EU with new iMac 27" 2020

Hi there,
I’m about to get a new iMac 27" 3.8ghz (2020) and want to get a dock to tidy up cables and make it easier to access.

I’d like to know if the TBT3-UDV-EU is fully compatible with the new iMac and can use all the capabilities on your Dock. The main use would be to connect a touchscreen monitor (similar to Cintiq) via HDMI would that be possible? And obviously add USB 3 external hard drives etc.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for posting!

I believe a better solution would be our Thunderbolt 3 Non-Charging docking station known as the TBT3-UD1-83 → https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-ud1-83

To expand further, the TBT3-UDV is designed to provide up to 60W of power to the host laptop. Since the iMac is a desktop system, it cannot be charged via Thunderbolt 3. While the TBT3-UDV is compatible with your iMac, you would in essence be paying for a feature that you cannot use.

The TBT3-UD1-83 does not provide power to the host laptop, so it is better suited for use with desktop systems and also has the benefit of being less expensive.

Should you elect to proceed with a purchase and find that the dock does not meet your needs, we do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy for all products sold by Plugable and fulfilled by Amazon.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly Bob.

I was only thinking of the TBT3-UDV-EU as it’s on Amazon for an absolute steal. I think it comes out at £24.95!!! as it also has a voucher with it as well.

If I’m only losing out on power (which i know I don’t need) does it work exactly as the TBT3-UD1-83? If it does I’d be a fool not to get it.

I’m also going to get one of your 2TB Thunderbolt 3 External SSD NVMe Drive as it’s a really good price and heard good things about it.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly!

Unfortunately the price you mention was due to a technical glitch, and it has since been corrected.

In response to your technical question, in practice the performance of the docks (outside of the charging element) should be identical.

For your reference, the physical factors (outside of the price difference) that would differentiate the two would be:

A. TBT3-UDV has five USB 3.0 ports. TBT3-UD1-83 has two.

B. TBT3-UD1-83 has one USB 3.0 Type-C port. TBT3-UDV has none.

C. TBT3-UDV has a single combination audio jack. TBT3-UD1-83 has separate audio input and audio output jacks.

D. TBT3-UDV includes an ‘Active’ DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, which supports up 4K resolution @ 60Hz refresh rate. TBT3-UD1-83 includes a ‘Passive’ DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, which supports up to 4K resolution at a 30Hz refresh rate

E. The TBT3-UDV provides up to 60W of power to the host system. The TBT3-UD1-83 does not charge the host system.

F. TBT3-UDV can be placed horizontally or vertically. The TBT3-UD1-83 can only be placed horizontally.

Thank you,

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.