TBT3-UDC3 with HP Zbook Z6 15 very glitchy

Just got my TBT3-UDC3 dock today. Using it with an HP ZBook 15 Z6. Windows 10 Enterprise.
Using it with one Dell U3415W monitor. Also using the Ethernet port, and plugged in a USB 3 hub, into which I plug my webcam and keyboard. The dock seems to shut off periodically. The monitor blinks, and when it comes back, it has rearranged the windows in a way that looks like it was to fit on the laptop screen. The Ethernet goes out occasionally too, and the USB port. I have also tried plugging the keyboard directly into the dock, but it wasn’t working. I have gone through the firmware update routine, but that doesn’t seem to help. So now I’m just using it for power, which is obviously less than ideal. Any ideas?

Hi @pbasch,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re seeing with your Plugable TBT3-UDC3 docking station. Based off the problems you report, let’s start of by performing a power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the dock back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals connected to the dock
  2. Disconnect docking station from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect docking station initially into power only
  5. Connect docking station to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and test for functionality

If that doesn’t help, I’d like to proceed by requesting a set of log files from your system to best investigate further. Please keep the TBT3-UDC3 dock connected to your HP computer, then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there.

Please send this ZIP file to us directly at support@plugable.com. You may use the subject line of “Ticket #367411” to help match up this post to the email.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

I sent the zip file. I look forward to any enlightenment. I’d rather not be on the phone with my company’s tech support for an hour while the support person does exactly this.

One more thing… It seems to me that the glitchiness is worse when I’m on VPN. Could be random, but when I’m on the computer and not on the VPN, it seems stable. But as soon as I’m on VPN it starts going off and on – not just the monitor, but the USB and the Ethernet.

Just to update this thread, we’re currently working to see if a replacement docking station resolves the problem.

We’ll strive to update this post as we learn more.

Thanks!

Mitchell

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.