I bought two new TBT3-UDC1 Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Docking Stations Duel Display with 60W charging. Neither one allows any monitors to work. I am an IT manager and methodically tried many things per below. The Monitor is a brand new ASUS VP228 and the two laptops I am using are A Lenovo P52 and a Lenovo X1 5th Generation. Both have Thunderbolt and the Plugable dock was recognized and approved to always connect.
- Plugged the monitor directly into the laptop. Worked fine.
- Plugged the monitor directly into a different laptop - worked fine.
- Plugged the monitor into the Plugable dock with the HDMI cable I was using to connect directly to the laptops and the included Plugable HDMI-to-Display Port adapter - nothing
- Swapped the monitor cable from HDMI/the included Plugable HDMI-to-Display Port adapter to a cable with HDMI on one end and a Display Port connector on the other end. Nothing.
- Swapped the two Plugable Thunderbolt cables - nothing
- Swapped the two Plugable power supplies - nothing
- Got a different monitor - a Dell P2213 with a Display Port. Used the enclosed Plugables Display Port adopter with a different HDMI cable - nothing.
- Swapped the included Plugables HDMI to Display Port adapter with another one from Plugables - nothing
- Finally two hours after all of the above, I find the one DisplayPort-only cable in the entire company and wah-lah, it worked.
So the Plugables enclosed HDMI converters were all junk.
Hope this saves someone a 2-hour headache like I had.