tbt3-hdmi2x with HP spectre x360 15 inch 2017, what the heck? help please????

Trying to use your sweet dual hdmi adapter with my new hp spectre x360 15 inch 2017 model. Only one screen displays. Is there a fix, or are they not compatible.

Thanks!!

C

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting! I can see you have also reached out to us directly via support@plugable.com and I have already sent direct replies. Please continue to respond only to my direct replies so we can keep all communication in one place.

For the benefit of anyone else following this thread, in general all system manufacturers can design their Thunderbolt 3 systems a little differently in terms of how many video outputs the system’s Thunderbolt 3 port can support (one or two), so as a result not all systems are compatible with our dual display adapter.

Unfortunately in this particular case, the host system (specifically an HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx, also known as the HP SKU Z4Z35UA) only supports one additional display via its Thunderbolt 3 port. Conveying this technical information can be tricky, however we do our best to maintain a compatibility table on our Plugable.com product page here -> http://plugable.com/products/tbt3-hdm… that provides this additional detail.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

By sheer coincidence, I happened to have the opportunity to test an HP Spectre x360 15 2017 for display output. Multiple monitors can be driven.

I can confirm that the following configurations work to concurrently drive the built-in screen and two external screens:
Laptop -> Thunderbolt 3 port -> Plugable USBC-DP adapter cable -> Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1440@60hz with DP 1.2 MST out port -> DisplayPort cable -> Non-dell monitor 2560x1440@60hz

Same as previous, but with the USB-C Non-TB3 port

Laptop -> Thunderbolt 3 port -> Plugable USBC-HDMI adapter -> Non-dell monitor 2560x1440@60hz; Laptop -> native HDMI port -> Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1440@60hz (confirmed 1440p over HDMI! Some UltraSharps require DisplayPort to drive higher than 1080p)

Same as previous, but with the USB-C Non-TB3 port

Same as previous, but with displays swapped

Same as previous, but with the USB-C Non-TB3 port and the displays swapped

I suggest OP try using one of these configurations instead.

Thanks for sharing the alternative solutions kicoman, appreciate you taking the time!

Bob