TBT3 dock goes to "sleep" when laptop sleeps, requires a power disconnect

Good afternoon,

I have owned the TBT3 dock now for a couple of years. I have two Lenovo monitors and my peripherals plugged into the dock. I use both my personal Lenovo laptop and my Macbook Pro work laptop with the dock. I am using the original power supply and the original thunderbolt USB C cable.

Recently, I have noticed that the dock effectively “shuts down” when the connected laptop goes to sleep. The dock essentially loses power, as both LED indicators are off. I have to disconnect the USB C cable, then disconnect and reconnect the power cable to “reboot” the dock, then reconnect the UCB C cable. Sometimes, if I don’t wait more than a couple of seconds with the power disconnect, then when I connect the USB C cable, the dock powers back off.

This was not an issue for a long while, and if this was a once a day issue, it wouldn’t bother me so much. However, since it happens every time the laptop goes to sleep, which can be upwards of 10x per day, it can become very annoying.

Any thoughts here? I love the dock otherwise!

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting! I am sorry things have stopped working as expected while using your Plugable TBT3-UDV docking station and I would be happy to help.

Thank you as well for the detail you have provided and the troubleshooting that you have already performed that is much appreciated.

There are two LED indicators on the front of the dock. A green power LED indicator that indicates the dock is powered on, and a blue LED connection indicator that indicates a connection to a Thunderbolt 3 host has been established.

That the green power LED indicator light is turning off is not expected or typical behavior.

If you have not already, I would ask that you please double-check that the dock’s power adapter is securely connected to a known-good power outlet and that the power adapter’s cable ‘tail’ is securely connected to the power adapter ‘brick’. If possible, it is also helpful to test connecting the unit to a different power outlet (this helps rule out the original power outlet as a contributor).

If that does not help, then our next step is to get some additional information.

If you would, please keep the dock connected to your MacBook Pro laptop and please send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to us directly via support@plugable.com (please mention ticket #318299 in your email so we can match things up). This information will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

** Please also include the Amazon Order ID number for your TBT3-UDV purchase in your direct email, it is required to confirm warranty status **

** Please do not post the PlugDebug file or the Amazon Order ID number here in our public forum **

Apologies again for the frustration, and thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Good morning Bob,

Apologies for the delay, and I appreciate your response!

I did double-check the power adapter connections, and I have also used a couple of different power outlets. It’s worth noting that I have recently moved, and the issue persisted in both homes, with several different outlets and powerstrips.

I will download the output of the diag utility, and provide it to you via email, along with the Amazon Order ID, as soon as I am able to replicate!

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.