TBT3 2TB Drive periodically disconnects

Hello!
I just bought a 2TB Thunderbolt 3 drive and I’m having issues connecting it to my iMac 2017 (on lates MacOS). First it didn’t show up at all, all I got were some notifications of “make sure you correctly unmount the drive before disconnecting it”.
Finally - after some reboots it seemed to stay stable connected - I was able to repartition the disk with APFS and see it in finder.
But now I still get random messages that the drive disconnected. I reconnects again but this seems to be a very unstable connection which I do not want to trust…

Any idea whats going on here? Does the drive not get enough power via the TB3 connector?

regards,
Reinhard

Hello Reinhard,

We’ve already established a dialog via email directly, but in case anyone else may encounter this kind of issue, I wanted to post my reply here as well. I’ll continue to reply to you via email and I will periodically update this support thread for visibility as needed.

For others, here is my original reply about this problem:

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Did the drive ever work correctly, or has this happened since day one of trying to use the drive?

If you wiggle the Thunderbolt 3 cable, does that cause it to immediately disconnect? Or does moving the drive/cable not seem to affect anything?

If you try a different Thunderbolt 3 port on the iMac, does that behave any differently?

Finally, are you running any kind of backup software to/from the drive? Time Machine, etc?

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.