TB2 compatibility with TBT4 Hub?

Hi could confirm whether this Hub is backwards compatible with TB2 iMac’s?. I’m wanting to connect an NVMe TB3 SSD to the TB4 hub (for power via TB3 connector) and then connect the hub via TB3>TB2 adaptor, to a TB2 iMac.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable support and providing a clear description of the goals you’re looking to meet. I’d be happy to help!

The TBT4-HUBC is compatible with Thunderbolt 4, USB4, and USB-C (limited functionality). Using a TBT3 to TBT2 adapter has not been tested by Plugable and is not supported. You would likely see issues with this configuration as Thunderbolt 3 hard drives require Thunderbolt 3 ports to work as expected.

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

Hi Omar, thanks for the quick response! okay just to clarify… I’m aware that TB4 is backwards compatible with TB3, they use the same connectors too(I.e same design = USB-C). 1/ Are you saying that TB3 drives won’t work in these TB4 ports either? FYI my original question was more around connecting the TB4 hub to my iMac (w/TB2 ports only)via the TB3>TB2 adaptor and whether it would function (at a slower speed due to TB2 obviously)… a NVME TB3 SSD drive would then be connected to the hub etc… 2/ TB3 is also backwards compatible with TB2… and as you’ve said TB 2 has NOT been tested for use with this device… so is there a chance it ‘may’ work? (Taking everything above into account?and that it hadn’t been officially tested?)

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching back out!

1/ Are you saying that TB3 drives won’t work in these TB4 ports either?

Thunderbolt 3 drives will work as expected in a Thunderbolt 3/4 port.
Unfortunately, Thunderbolt 2 doesn’t support Thunderbolt 3 speeds and typically won’t read the TBT3 drive.

and as you’ve said TB 2 has NOT been tested for use with this device… so is there a chance it ‘may’ work?

Other Thunderbolt 3 devices can be driven with an adapter to TBT2 but not tested by Plugable.

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.