Switch between Desktop and Laptop via cable

Hi,

I am figuring out how to achieve what I want.

So I want to connect my two monitors, mouse, keyboard etc with my Plugable USB-C 4K Triple Display Docking Station. I do not want to have my Laptop and Desktop Computer plugged in simultaneously. More like when I need to do stuff on my Laptop then just plug the USB-C to host cable to my Laptop and go. When I need to do stuff on my Desktop then same thing - unplug from Laptop and then plug the USB-C to host cable to my Desktop and go.

But here is the thing, my Desktop Computer actually does not have a USB-C port ( a small fact that I did not think about). I suppose it wont work when I try to plug it via an USB 3.0 port?

Is there some other way or only with the USB-C and I do need to add USB-C to my computer - as long as my motherboard supports it?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I would be happy to provide additional information regarding our products.

Unfortunately, Plugable does not offer a USB-C “A/B” switch that allows for a USB-C device (supporting USB-C DP video) to be toggled between computers. This kind of device is possible to create but is very technically complex to implement. While the there are existing USB-C KVMs like from companies like Sabrent or IOGear, these devices only obtain a USB-C input, then just switch the display signal and USB. They do not switch USB-C signal itself, which means that they wouldn’t work 100% through USB-C docks.

Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but hopefully this information was helpful.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thank you for your reply.
Just to be sure - but when my Desktop PC has a native USB-C port then I can plug everything onto the Plugable and then just connect my plugable device with the PC via the USB-C to host port?

Hi @Danielz,

I’ll be quickly stepping in for Ryoma here.

In most cases, USB-C ports on desktop computers only support data transfer. They don’t support USB-C features such as USB-C Alt Mode for video, so as a result, our Plugable UD-ULTC4K docking station would not be fully compatible when connected to a desktop computer.

Hopefully that helps clarify.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Ok got it but I would need to buy an expansion card and install on my desktop pc anyway. In that case I can use one that support USB-C Alt Mode for video? So a quick google search brings me to the Sunix UPD2018 that should work at first glimpse I think. (https://www.amazon.com/SUNIX-USB-C-Express-Alternate-Mode-UPD2018/dp/B01MY4WRBU?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace)

If you know other expansion cards that supports features required to be compatible I am happy to learn from you. Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for letting me know!

While we have not tested the SUNIX device ourselves, it looks like it should be compatible based on their specifications.

However, if you run into any issues during testing, please feel free to reach out to us. Alternatively, I would recommend utilizing Amazon’s 30-day hassle free return policy as a backup plan as well.

Hopefully this information was helpful, but please feel free to reach out if you have any follow-up questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.