Subpar Gigabit Ethernet Performance USB3-E1000 GigE Adapter

It doesn’t appear that I am getting USB 3.0 speeds from the USB-E1000 adapter. I installed the latest drivers from the ASIX website. I am plugged into my USB 3.0 port on my MS Surface Pro. Max download speed with this adapter is 24MB/s from my server on my Gigabit network. I had an Anker USB 3.0 Adapter that died but my speeds were between 97-103MB/s sustained downstream and 103MB/s sustained upstream from and to my server. Also the user guide that came with this adapter advertises 9KB Jumbo Frames, however, the configuration option for the adapter only allow you to select up to 4088KB.

Hi KMC-

Thanks for posting with your issue and great details about your setup!

I’m so sorry to hear you’re not getting acceptable speeds from the USB3-E1000. I’ll be especially curious to look into any issues you see since performance is obviously a key feature for the product and we’ve found initial tests to be very good.

I use one of these everyday and have found speeds to be great, so I’m confident we’ll be able to get you up and running at acceptable speeds. Normally I’d suggest troubleshooting other ports, but that isn’t an option and it sounds like the USB port itself can’t be an issue since the other adapter worked well.

Just for a quick test, do you have another USB 3.0 capable system you can test the adapter with to double check? I’m sure you know this already, but also double-checking to make sure you’re using a full duplex (8 wire) Ethernet cable VS a half-duplex 4-wire cable is recommended for any other users who might see this thread in the future.

Please let me know on these quick initial checks and we’ll figure out where to go from there.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Technician
Plugable Technologies

Jeff, Thanks for the quick reply! I found out what the issue was. I had a setting on my Cisco 3750E router that was impacting my DL speeds but not my Upload speeds. I changed the setting back to default and all is well. So far the card performs as expected. I will be sure to leave a good review on Amazon after I’ve had some time to burn the adapter in. Thanks again for your response.

Here is what my speeds look like after the switch configuration change and reloading the switch:

!](https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/873361/DL_speed-USB3-E1000_inline.png?1363573630)](https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/873361/DL_speed-USB3-E1000.png?1363573630)

What are the power requirements for this adapter? Does it have to be connected to a powered USB 3.0 hub in order to function correctly? It does not provide USB 3.0 speeds when connected to a passive USB 3.0 hub.

Hi KMC-

In a word, yes, it needs to be connected to a powered hub, or directly to a PC.

I wouldn’t expect any bus powered USB 3.0 devices to work well on non-powered hubs, having USB 3.0 standard 900mA power availability is needed.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes-

Jeff