Streaming not working when plugable is connected on my Mac - M1

I am watching somrthing on Sling on my Mac M1. The Streaming is working fine if plugable is not connected. Once plagable is connected the video does not work. I still get the sound from the streaming.

The extended monitors works

Please assist

Hi Amin,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I am sorry to hear that your equipment is not functioning as expected, and would be happy to provide additional support.

Unfortunately, the behavior you describe is a current limitation in macOS. To expand further, services like Apple TV and Sling use a form of copy protection known as HDCP. When a docking station based on DisplayLink technology (such as the UD-6950Z or UD-3900) is connected to the system, applications that use HDCP may not work as expected, as you have found.

We do our best to call this out in our product listings (within the product ‘Features’ under the ‘Compatibility’ section):

“DisplayLink is a flexible and versatile technology that’s great for most users’ workflow. But there are a few scenarios where it’s not the right fit such as gaming and HDCP (copy-protected) content playback from Blu-ray/Netflix/Prime/iTunes/Hulu/etc.”

DisplayLink (the separate company that makes the primary chip within the dock and who also develops the software driver) speak to this potential as well → https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/830301-content-protected-video-does-not-play-on-mac-while

At this time, there is no workaround other than to disconnect the docking station from the system. It is our hope that Apple will change this behavior in the future, however we of course cannot be sure if they will do so.

If this solution is unacceptable, I would recommend utilizing Amazon’s 30-day hassle free return policy at this time (or other distributor), assuming you have no other use for it.

Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but hopefully this information was helpful.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.