SSD Recovery from Dell laptop

I have a 2018 Dell XPS 9570 that has a bad CPU and it won’t power on. The SSD memory is 256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40. Can I remove the SSD from the Dell, put it into a Plugable device, and simply copy the files onto my new Lenovo laptop? And then the old SSD memory can serve as a backup?

Just wanting some reassurance.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for contacting us both via email and through our forum, I am happy to help!

I also replied to your direct email, please let me know if you did not receive the email.

Our USBC-NVME USB Type-C to NVMe SSD Enclosure ( https://plugable.com/products/usbc-nvme ) should be a great option. This enclosure is compatible with M.2 NVMe SSDs and converts them to USB 3 Type-C or Type-A ( with the two included cables ) for connecting to another desktop or notebook computer. The product page includes an installation animation ( https://plugable.com/products/usbc-nvme#nav-get-started ) to help installing the NVMe SSD into the enclosure.

somebody mentioned the data could be Bitlockered, encrypted, which I guess is another issue but any info appreciated.

Bitlocker encryption is a full-disk encryption used by Windows 10/11 Pro and Enterprise, current iterations require creating a Microsoft Account on the computer, the bitlocker recovery key should be stored to the Microsoft Account for the user who encrypted the drive. During the encryption process it is also possible to export the recovery key to a USB Flash drive, or print off a hard-copy of the key for recovery, however the system defaults to only storing the key on the Microsoft Account.

When connecting the USBC-NVME enclosure, with the SSD installed, to the new computer a drive letter may not be automatically assigned, if this is the case you can manually assign a drive letter to the original computer’s C:\ partition through the “Disk Management” settings window:

1. Right-click on the Start Menu, select “Disk Management”
  2. Expand the window, or scroll down in the bottom section
  3. Right-click on the NVMe SSD’s largest partition and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths…”
  4. Follow the on screen instructions to assign a drive letter, the data partition should now be available within Windows File Explorer and user data can be copied from the drive to your local computer

If the drive is bitlockered then you will have to enter the bitlocker recovery key in order to access data on the drive.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com