Specific resolutions?

What resolutions specifically does it support? I cannot seem to find a list anywhere, it states “all resolutions up too” but would like a list please. I am planning on using this as a “tool” for testing many different displays on a daily basis.

Thanks for the quick response.

To give you some insight I work in A/V integration and deal with many different brands/specs of displays which are not always compatible with chain of equipment driving it.
It can be a multitude of problems anything ranging from a certain resolutions not being supported by the display to non-standard HDCP handshakes going haywire.

I plan on using XP driver.

So just to understand, if the EDID comes back with a “non standard” VESA mode, it should be available to output that resolution (up to 2048x1152) as well as 16x9 (1600x900, 1920x1080)?

Thanks again,

Al

Hi Al,

I haven’t tested any monitors with odd modes on XP, so I’m not certain of the driver behavior in that case. It may do it (again, the hardware is capable, and other OSes like Linux just set the preferred monitor mode, whatever it is), but XP and the XP driver may also try to best fit to nearest standard VESA mode. With the XP display control panel, it should always be possible to find something that works, though, and get something up on the screen.

One important caution for you - you mention your scenario is A/V integration. USB graphics is good for typical PC applications, but typically not for a pure video playback scenario. USB 2.0’s 480Mbs bus is a bottleneck when all the pixels on the screen are changing all the time, especially at the higher resolutions.

So while many people happily watch youtube videos on USB-attached displays without noticing, Plugable’s guidance is to always play video, especially DVD or Blu-Ray quality, on your primary (non-USB) display.

Thanks,
Bernie

Hi - Thanks for the question.

From a hardware perspective, the hardware is capable of supporting arbitrary modes up to its resolution limit (which for the UGA-2K-A is a max of 2048x1152)

From a driver perspective on most OSes (e.g. Windows), it supports standard VESA modes from this list:

2048x1152
1920x1200
1820x1080
1600x1200
1680x1050
1400x1050
1280x1024
1280x768
1152x864
1024x768
800x600
640x480

Plus the first/preferred (extended EDID) mode timing returned by the monitor.

At each of these modes, the hardware is capable of 8, 16, and 32 bit color depths. Some OSes (like Win7) may restrict to 32bpp for things like Windows Aero support. Linux udlfb is currently 16bpp only. And some OSes (like Win7 again) filter the EDID returned by the monitor and adapter, possibly removing some modes – but all the modes on the above list should make it through.

The screen is refreshed from the framebuffer on the device at 60Hz.

Without knowing more about your scenario, it sounds like it might be a fit – because of the underlying mode setting flexibility, the device can work with a wide variety of displays.

Thanks again,
Bernie