Some key combinations using Shift don't work

I’m using this keyboard with a Linux computer over USB. There are some pain points using this keyboard, like needing to hold the “Fn” key to use the F1-F12 keys (and even Esc!), and that the “lock” button (right next to the backspace and delete keys) sends a XF86Power command that shuts down the computer if you accidentally press it.

The main issue I’m having is that some key combinations don’t seem to work correctly. For example, if I use Ctrl+Tab I can cycle through tabs in the web browser. But if I use Ctrl+Shift+Tab to cycle backwards, it doesn’t work. If I use a tool like xev to see the inputs from the keyboard, if I hold the Ctrl+Shift keys and then press Tab, it shows that I released the Shift key even though I’m still holding it down. The same thing happens if I try to Shift+PageUp. If I hold Fn+Shift and press the Up key, it shows a “KeyRelease” event for the shift key even though I’m still holding it down.

Is there an issue with my keyboard, or is it just wired in a way that doesn’t allow these key combinations? The Shift key works fine in other uses, for example holding Shift while pressing arrow keys to select text.

Hello!
I’m Brian, a product owner here at Plugable and I will be working with you to resolve this issue. I’m sorry to hear of all the difficulties and frustrations!

The keyboard has a Windows compatibility mode which should help with Linux. Press the Fn key, followed by the W key to enable it.

Let me know what happens and thanks for reaching out to us and giving us a chance to help!

Brian
Product Owner
Plugable Support

Thanks for the reply! I tried the Fn+W combination but it doesn’t seem to change the behaviour. I also tried the Fn+E (iOS) and Fn+Q (Android) combinations, and Fn+iOS did change the behaviour, but not in a useful way (for example now the Fn key acts as the super/win key).

Hello!
Thank you for getting back to me. Depending on the desktop environment that you use, you may need to change the keyboard behaviour via the DE’s keyboard settings. KDE Plasma allows you to assign key combos for shortcuts and other DEs may have a similar setting.

Brian
Product Owner
Plugable Support

They keyboard combos (with Shift) work fine with other keyboards, but not this Plugable keyboard. These combos also do not work with the Plugable keyboard on Windows. I have also tried adding new keyboard shortcuts, but the Shift key isn’t recognised in these shortcuts either.

There may be an issue with the keyboard and we can send you a warranty replacement.

E-mail us directly via support@plugable.com with your Amazon order ID# and current shipping address. We’ll send you a replacement as quickly as possible.

Brian
Product Owner
Plugable Support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.