Should I update firmware in new 4-port USB 3.0 hub?

Hi,

I was checking the firmware on the new 4-port USB 3.0 hub that I just received today, and it appears that it’s quite old.

Device ID in Device Manager shows:

USB\VID_2109&PID_0811&REV_0392

So, I was wondering should I update the firmware on the hub?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting, I’ll be happy to assist. Since your hub just arrived today, it should have the latest firmware. As long as you are not experiencing problems with any of your devices, there’s no reason to update your firmware.

If you are experiencing issues with devices connecting to the hub, let us know some more system details like the make and model of your computer, the operating system you are running and the device that’s having issues and we’ll figure out the best next steps.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Hi Jerome,

I posted the info from Device Manager/Hardware ids earlier. That said “REV_0392”, which I gather from this blog post:

http://plugable.com/2013/01/29/via-us…

is not current (according to that, current should say “REV_3198”?).

That was why I said it appears that the firmware in the hub I received today was “old”.

I understand what you said about not updating, but I do like to have the newest firmware (part of the reason I got a Plugable hub), so I’ve gone ahead and run that updater, and it now says “REV_3198”.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it went smoothly. If you do run into any any issues we can help with just let us know.

Regards.
Jerome

Hi,

Thanks. I’ve been quite surprised/pleased with the hub, now that it’s working :)… Been testing it with large file copies to both drives in the lay-flat dock and in several other enclosures, including a Vantec USB 3.0 and a Kingwin USB 3.0. Speeds are “ok”, but more importantly, I haven’t seen dropouts like I did with the other USB 3.0 hub I originally got (an “EZOware”).

I wish that you all would get better drive activity LEDs though :)… JUST KIDDING (kind of) :)…

Later,
Jim