Setup three monitors on older laptop with no type c or thunderbolt connection on laptop

Hi, I have a dell latitude from 2017 and it has both hdmi & display link ports, but no type c or thunderbolt. I want to do a three monitor plus laptop display setup totaling four screens. Can I purchase an adapter for hdmi or display link to usb c for legacy laptops and connect it to the usb c host port on one of your docking station? Will it work and display the laptop screen on the other three monitors? Triple play docking station. How would I do the set up to work with older laptop without type c connection for three monitors? Also, all three monitors are dell monitors with hdmi & vga ports only.

Hi Roy,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I would be happy to answer your questions regarding adding displays to your 2017 Dell Latitude laptop.

Unfortunately, our Plugable UD-3900PDZ Triple Display Docking station requires that the host laptop support USB-C in order to drive three displays. If the dock is adapted to a USB-A connection, the dock will only be partially compatible, where only two out of the three HDMI ports would work and the dock would no longer be able to charge the laptop.

One option for achieving three displays over a USB 3.0 (Type-A) connection is to use a USB 3.0 dual display dock, and then you could connect your third display directly to the HDMI port on the laptop. If you prefer to have all displays connected to the dock, you could add one of our USB 3.0 graphics adapters to drive a third display through the dock. To assist with selecting the appropriate devices, could you please provide the model numbers for the monitors you intend to use?

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Here is the model of the monitors Dell - SE2719HR 27" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitor (HDMI, VGA) - Piano Black

Hi Roy,

Thank you very much for providing the requested information!

Based off your monitor selection, I would recommend combining a Plugable UD-3900 (https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900) with a UGA-2KHDMI graphics adapter (https://plugable.com/products/uga-2khdmi) to drive three monitors off a single USB-A connection to your laptop.

As previously mentioned, the UGA-2KHDMI graphics adapter can be omitted if you chose to connect one of your monitors directly to the laptop as well.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to let me know!

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.