Setting Up Audio Adapter for Raspberry Pi

I have been through several articles, some old, some new, but can’t seem to find a solution. Following your advice (http://plugable.com/2014/11/06/how-to…) and several others, I changed the .asoundrc file to card 1 for both and verified in aplay -l that the USB device was indeed card 1. Then, to be safe, restarted ALSA using sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

When I run “speaker-test”, I get an error saying

Channels count (1) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument

But when I switch it back to card 0 in .asoundrc, it works fine, just on the HDMI and not the sound card.

What am I missing for setting up the card on the Pi?
Also, when I reboot the whole Pi, it resets .asoundrc. Is there a way to prevent from being overwritten?

I’m a newbie at this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Wheezy / Pi B+

Just to confirm: Are you running the most up to date March 2016 build of Raspbian?

Yes, in hopes to fix the problem, I updated to the newest version of Jessie. The March build that is.

Update: Got the audio output to work but still unable to get the mic to read correctly.

To get the audio out working -

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ more .asoundrc
pcm.!default plughw:Device

ctl.!default plughw:Device

source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi…

Are you using our USB-AUDIO audio adapter? What is the make and model of the microphone?

Yes, I am using the USB-AUDIO adapter. I’m using a Logitech wraparound headset, but not sure the model number.

Playing around with arecord, I found that at a low sampling rate and low bit rate, I was only getting static. It SHOULD have been just really crappy quality audio, but when I raised both of them, I was able to record sound.

Even though you didn’t get much of a solution, thank you for your attention!
Now back to the goal of making the Pi a DSP.

Just glad I could point you in the right direction. You answered your own questions, you should feel good about that.