Second output works very intermittently

I’m trying to setup a brand new TBT3-UDZ onto a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 10 laptop using both HDMI outputs of the dock. The monitor connected to the output 1 works fine however the monitor connected to output 2 works very intermittently. It will work for a few seconds then go black. Then it will work for a second or two again. Windows always recognized there are two monitors connected.

Swapping the monitors to the opposing outputs does not help. The issue is always present on output 2. Any suggestions?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Most likely the laptop will need a graphics driver update and the dock may need a firmware update. I would suggest to begin with the following for your setup:

1. Let’s ensure the Lenovo system is running the newest Intel graphics drivers to start: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/764788/gfx_win_101.4032.exe (I recommend a reboot afterwards, even if not prompted to)

2. Next I’d suggest to check and update the dock firmware to our newest version. For how to do so, we have a complete guide here: https://kb.plugable.com/question/1475318

If you run into any issues updating drivers or firmware please let me know. We can try to get some additional diagnostics information as our next steps if the above hasn’t helped.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hello Joshua - I’ve had tech support with you almost 2 years ago with the same issue reported by the OP of a flashing monitor when using the second (upper) HDMI connection and could never get it resolved. It seems was related to the Intel 11th generation chip and the Xe graphics as several people seem to report this over the year here. And despite trying driver updates and the like could never fix it. In Feb of last year, you sent me instructions on a firmware update which still didn’t fix it. I thought I’d take a look at the firmware update instructions you posted here in case this was a new update and…problem fixed! Thanks so much for your help as I now can run two monitors through a single cable connecting my laptop to the docking station rather than the ‘fix’ I was using of having to run one monitor through my laptop via an adapter into the TB port and the other monitor through the docking station.

1 Like

@Astera Good to hear from you!

Thank you for sharing that the newest firmware has helped in your situation. The Iris Xe compatibility continues to be tricky to this day, although the newest firmware seems to have really helped on this front for many of our customers who’ve been affected by these problems. I’m so glad you’re finally able to have things now working as expected with both displays through the dock now rather than having to split across dock and laptop directly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.