Screen Size and Icons Rearranged

Every time I plug my gateway laptop into the plugagle and restart or turn on after being shut down my screen is small and not full and my icons are all rearranged. This is very annoying. I know how to manually go in an change the screen resolution and I can put the icons back but this is time consuming! Is there a permanent fix?

Hi Rania,

Thanks for contacting Plugable Support, we’ll be happy to help. It sounds like your monitors are in mirror mode. Is that correct? Windows will try and rearrange your desktop and adjust the resolution to match what it thinks is the correct setting.

One solution is to set up your monitors in extended mode. This way you’ll be able to have separate resolution settings for each screen and have your desktop on the main display remain unchanged whether the external display is connected or not.

Another solution that may work is a third party multiple monitor management application. DisplayLink offers a free trial of a program called “Actual Multiple Monitors” that may be useful to you. Here’s a link to it if you’d like to give it a try.

http://displaylink.com/support/tools.php

I hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any further assistance,.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies