Screen doesn't come back up after sleep timer (Mac Mojave)

I have 2 HDMI displays connected to my dock, and am using a MacBook Pro 2018, running the latest version of Mojave.

Both displays work fine, until the screen saver kicks in and it shuts off. When I wiggle the mouse to wake everything up, only ONE screen will come back on usually. What’s weird is that sometimes it is one screen, and sometimes the other. (One is via Displaylink, of course, and I have the latest driver.)

I have to unplug the power from the dock and ‘reboot’ it to get both screens again.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Normally, sleep related issues are initially due to the host system, or the connected displays. The dock has no real effect on these settings, as they are handled purely by the operating system.

Just to help isolate the issue to the dock, if you swap the display that is experiencing the issue to the port that is not experiencing the issue, does the same problem occur?

Is this issue happening on the 4K HDMI port, or one of the DisplayLink ports (2K HDMI,DVI)?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

The problem is ‘sticky’ to the port (e.g. HDMI or DisplayLink HDMI) when it happens. In other words, unplugging and replugging in the monitors, or even swapping ports, doesn’t affect the problem - it is the port that stops working.

It happens on both ports (but not at the same time) - sometimes the regular HDMI port, and sometimes the DisplayLink HDMI port. It seems to be about 50/50 between them. The only ‘fix’ is to reboot the dock by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in. That is why I suspect it is the dock - if it was the laptop, then rebooting the dock shouldn’t cause a port to start working again. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for sending this information over! Although rebooting the dock may “seem” to resolve the issue, and point to the dock, it does not unequivocally denote the dock as the issue, due to how the operating system and host communicates with the dock.

I do want to make sure we can isolate the dock down as much as possible, and get you back up and running as soon as we can. I would like to review the log files from your system, and see if anything is out of the ordinary. When you have a moment, could you visit www.plugable.com/support/plugdebug and follow the instructions for downloading and running our Plugdebug application. Once the application has been installed and ran, could you please send the log files to support@plugable.com, making sure to include “ticket no. 260466” in the subject line, so that we can ensure all of your information stays together.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Will do. I’ve downloaded the tool, and will wait for the problem to appear to run it, then send them to you!

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much! As soon as we can review the log files, we can see what may be causing the issue. I appreciate you being so patient and awesome during this process.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

It just did it, and I ran the tool. However, it popped up and said that the zip file is too large to send to support, and to contact you for more information…?

Hi There,

Thank you so much for sending this information over! Just to make sure I have all of the right information, did the application still attempt to compress and zip the files onto your desktop, or has the application completely stopped working?

If there is a file located on the desktop, you may be able to have it sent via Google drive or OneDrive if it is too large to be sent. Would this be possible to do?

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

It created the ZIP file fine - that all looks good. The ZIP file is 9.4MB - not sure if that is too big for me to send or not. I just tried emailing it - so let me know if you don’t get it and we can try Box or something…

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do so! It looks as if the file may have been too large for our ticketing client to accept. Would it be possible to email us with a link to share the file via Google Drive or OneDrive? If so, please include ticket no. 260466 in the subject line, and send the link to support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Here’s the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F7nPEk3DIZI5FzH7eV1NMGtWZsTUnB9B/view?usp=sharing

It happened again - another debug file is at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-0b3m3toDoRpQLOloXVy-gph02odYwEm

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for sending over these individual links to share the output from our PlugDebug application. I am going to review both files, and see what may be causing the issue. As soon as I have additional information, I will reach out as soon as possible, and advise you on the next steps.

Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Karl,

I appreciate your patience so much! Based on the log files, all of the individual system utilities and software are installed correctly, and up to date. I can see no internal reason why this behavior is occurring, but since it seems to be connected mostly to the DisplayLink chipset on the dock, I would like to see if sending out a replacement unit has any effect. Could you please reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and provide your Amazon Order ID number and preferred shipping address, making sure to include “Ticket no. 260466” in the subject line so that we can keep all of your information together, and then we can work on having a replacement unit sent out.

Marc
www.plugable.com/support

So, I did some testing with another MBP, running High Sierra. It experiences the SAME issue! When the screen is locked and goes to sleep, when you wake it back up, the HDMI 4K (usually) won’t wake back up until you power cycle the docking station.

Based on this, it doesn’t appear to be (1) my laptop, or (2) the version of the OS. Things are still pointing to the docking station as the culprit since it requires a power cycle to ‘reset’ each time. :frowning:

Hi Karl,

Thank you so much for sending this information over! While utilizing another system and experiencing the same issue can sometimes point to a dock issue, were you utilizing the same displays and cables connected to the dock when testing the alternate system? Sleep/wake issues are normally correlated to the connected displays, but it could also be a dock related issue if you utilize different displays and cables at the same time.

As I said previously, could you please reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and provide your Amazon Order ID number and preferred shipping address, making sure to include “Ticket no. 260466” in the subject line so that we can keep all of your information together, and then we can work on having a replacement unit sent out.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, Marc. I did send that in, and a replacement unit was sent out to me. The same issue happens with the replacement unit, unfortunately.

I will try your suggestion of trying different screens and/or cables, though, to see if perhaps that is the issue!

I won’t be back in the office for a few weeks, so it will be a while before I’m able to test that. I’ll try to remember to post here in a couple of weeks to keep the ticket open. :slight_smile:
Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

I sincerely apologize! Sadly, we do not always have the last names inside of our tickets, so I apologize for not referencing a replacement unit if you already received one on this forum. Due to the fact that all of our replacements are pretested, I would really like to see the results from these tests in the coming weeks.

We will make sure that this thread stays open, but as soon as you can comment on the testing, please let me know, and we can work on the next steps!

If you would prefer, reaching out to us directly at support@plugable.com may be easier then attempting to keep the topic open.

Please let me know if there is anything you need from us in the meantime!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.