Razer 14 (2023) not selecting NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070

I am trying to connect two monitors to a Razer 14 (2023) via a UD-4VPD hub, the screens are LG UltraGear 32GN63T @ 2560x1440 143.93Hz.

I cannot get the screens to select the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 GPU when plugged into the hub. Both screens are defaulting to the AMD Radeon 780M GPU.

It does work when I plug one of the screens directly into the HDMI on the computer, so I know the drivers and computer setup are fine, however, this defeats the point of having the hub, and I would like both screens to be driven from the NVIDIA driver.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Computers with two graphics controllers rely on the operating system and NVIDIA or AMD software to determine which displays are controlled by which graphics controller. The system will use the processor’s embedded graphics controller (AMD in this case) when under low graphics workloads to save power and reduce heat, however under heavy graphics workloads the system will switch to the NVIDIA graphics controller.

Generally the NVIDIA graphics controller can support more external displays than the AMD processor graphics and may have direct control over the HDMI port on the computer, while the USB4 port is shared between the AMD and NVIDIA graphics controllers.

Windows 11 provides a utility to assign specific applications to graphics controllers, we can test the computer’s USB4 output to see if it can be controlled by the NVIDIA graphics controller with the following:

1. Right-click on the Start Menu and select “Settings” from the pop-up menu
  2. On the left column select “System”
  3. On the right side, select “Display”
  4. On the right under “Related Settings” select “Graphics”
  5. Under Graphics performance preferences individual applications may be assigned to either graphics controller. For example you can assign a web browser like Firefox or Chrome to the NVIDIA graphics controller here and verify the NVIDIA graphics hardware takes over control of the external displays.
    The system should still assign any high-performance software to the NVIDIA graphics controller, this allows for overriding the default assignments as a test.

If the NVIDIA graphics hardware does not take over the external displays connected to the docking station it may indicate the USB4 port on this computer only supports video output from the AMD graphics controller.

For Windows 10, or older version of Windows 11 the NVIDIA Control Panel can also be used to assign specific applications to the NVIDIA graphics hardware:

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Under “3D Settings” on the left side, select “Manage 3D Settings”
  3. On the right, select the “Program Settings” tab
  4. From the drop-down list select the application and assign it to the NVIDIA graphics controller.

Please let me know if this helps to enable the NVIDIA graphics controller for high performance graphics applications running on the external displays connected to the docking station.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com