Random Monitor Drops - UD 3900 - HP Envy 360

I have an HP envy 360 laptop connected through the plugable 3.0 UD-3900 to two (2) monitors. Set the laptop to extend, arrange monitors (including the laptop display) and all is great. But at random intervals the monitors will “disconnect” and only the laptop monitor is active. Then it will correct itself and display on all three screens. Sometimes it does it once in a few hours, sometimes every 10-15 seconds for several iterations. It is doing it now as I type this. The keyboard and mouse always remain connected. What is the fix for this?

Edit to include the audio drops with the video as well.

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for posting!

I appreciate the clear description of the issue. The typical first steps we’ll want to take is to make sure that the software used by the dock is in a good state by reinstalling the DisplayLink software and running the DisplayLink cleaner tool. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool (https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 9.0 M1 DisplayLink software (https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+9.0+M1.exe)
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

If these steps help, great! If not, I’d like to request some logs from your system to investigate further. Could you please keep the Plugable dock connected to your system (with everything still attached), then navigate to our PlugDebug tool (https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug) and follow the instructions there?

This will create a ZIP file on your Desktop containing system logs and information. Please send this ZIP file to us directly at support@plugable.com with the subject line: “Ticket #278413

Additionally, please provide the Amazon Order ID associated with the dock.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

I actually tried running the display link cleaner and re-install, and am still having issues. I am currently away from my setup, so I will have to follow up with the next steps after 7/28

Thank you,
Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the update. Whenever you’re able to, please just follow the quoted instructions and I’d be happy to investigate further:

If these steps help, great! If not, I’d like to request some logs from your system to investigate further. Could you please keep the Plugable dock connected to your system (with everything still attached), then navigate to our PlugDebug tool (https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug) and follow the instructions there?

This will create a ZIP file on your Desktop containing system logs and information. Please send this ZIP file to us directly at support@plugable.com with the subject line: “Ticket #278413

Additionally, please provide the Amazon Order ID associated with the dock.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Email with the ZIP file and Amazon order number have been sent

For anyone following this post, Gerald reached out to us directly with the log files.

However, the log files did not indicate an obvious host conflict with the dock or its DisplayLink software. Under our one-year warranty, we sent out a pretested replacement unit and this replacement unit is working as expected.

For anyone else having similar issues, please do not hesitate to post on our forums or contact us directly at support@plugable.com. We are happy to help.