Purchased USB-C 3 display docking station only 2 displays work

Purchased USB-C triple display docking station and only two monitors function. Can someone give me a tip on how to get the third monitor working?

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Just to make sure I have all of the right information, which port on the docking station is the “3rd” display connected to that is not outputting properly?

Would it be possible to obtain the model number of the system you are connecting the docking station to?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Marc,

I have the third monitor on HDMI 4K slot it doesn’t work. Also at work I have the same set up it works with the HDMI to DVI but when I hooked up here at my home office it does not work. I am hooking my HP Spectra laptop Spec-477L9P. As I said the laptop wit the same plugable triple display docking station works fine at my office using the HDMI to DVI connection. Please let me know what I can do. Thank you again for your help.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for letting me know! Just to ensure I have the right information, are you also utilizing a HDMI to DVI cable on your home setup, or a direct HDMI to HDMI cable?

When connecting the dock at home, are you utilizing the original USB-C to USB-C cable, or another alternate cable?

Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Marc,

Thank you. I have used both HDMI to HDMI 4K and then Switched to HDMI To DVI and both do not work for the third monitor only the HDMI to HDMI 2K works.

I am connecting to the Doc at home trying two ways, one with an HDMI to USB-C cable and the other using the original cable and an adapter taking it from USB to USB-C to Docking station. Both ways only the HDMI 2K works and if I try and plug in the other third display I get only one screen so I have to disconnect the third monitor.

Thank you,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for sending all of this amazing information over! Based on the information you supplied, it sounds as if you are utilizing the original USB-C to USB-C cable, with a USB-C to USB-A adapter. This is most likely why you are not able to connect the 4K HDMI display, as it requires a direct USB-C to USB-C connection, and a system that supports VESA Alt-Mode, Power Delivery, and Data via the same USB-C port.

I was not able to find a system inside of HPs documentation that matched the model number you sent over. When you have a moment, could you please keep everything connected and send us the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system. Then, email this .zip file that will be located on your desktop to our support email address (support@plugable.com) and we can verify if your system is compatible with our docking station.

Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Marc,

I just sent two plugable reports one with two monitors connected, the second monitor is on the HDMI 2K with HDMI cable. The second report has all three including laptop the third monitor is connected HDMi to DVI with this connection non of the external monitors work. I don’t have a USB-C output on my laptop so I have to convert to USB-A to USB-C with an adapter or cable with USB -A to USB-C. Thanks again for your help.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for letting me know! The key item you addressed was the fact that your system does not have a USB-C port! The Triple Display Docking station can only output to 3 total displays when the connected system has a native USB-C port. You do not have a native USB-C port, so you will not be able to provide Power Delivery via the dock, or output to the display connected to the 4K HDMI port.

I will make sure to check for the log files you sent over, and reply via email, and we can work on the next steps, since your system is not compatible with our dock.

Marc
www.plugable.com/support