Pro8/Stream7 external monitor issues

Hi,
I just got the Pro8, which I was hoping to work with an HP Stream 7. My issue is that all the external monitors I’ve connected through the Pro8, both through the DVI adapter and via USB (I have an AOC 16" monitor) are exceptionally choppy to the point of unusable. I’ve installed the latest DisplayLink drivers, but to no avail. Are there other things I could check?

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Steve,

How many external monitors are you using at once? The Stream 7 since it only has 1GB of RAM it will have a harder time running more than one monitor at a time.

If the issue is happening with only one monitor attached, is it choppy all the time, or only when doing certain tasks (like watching a video)?

Best wishes.

Josh,
Just one monitor at a time. I first tried a Dell 2408WFP via DVI and then a AOC e1649Fwu via USB. In both cases I couldn’t even drag a windows explorer window over to the external monitor without severe lag. To make sure it wasn’t the tablet being overloaded, I removed the Pro8, then added a dell USB dongle to the stream’s micro-usb (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/produ…) then attached the AOC monitor to the dongle, which worked perfectly. As best as I can tell it was choppy no matter what I did. The one odd thing to note is that while window refresh seemed crazy slow, the mouse tracking was much faster (it wasn’t perfect, but much better).

I’d compare the performance to an RDP session over a slow LAN connection, if that helps.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Hello Steve,

What’s your CPU usage like when dragging a Window around? I can fire up our Stream 7 and do a similar test to compare.

Best,
Josh

Josh,
It seems to be running around 60-70%. What’s interesting was I able to build a solution that works by taking the Stream 7 attached the Dell dongle, then I hooked the Dongle into this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005…, then added the AOC monitor to the hub, and everything works great. So, I’m even more confused now.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Interesting. Well the CPU usage seems close to what we’re seeing here so the issue isn’t that. I am rather confused as to why the combination of Dell Dongle + our powered USB 2.0 hub + your AOC monitor works without issue, but I suppose if that solution works for you then that’s great.

Now since the Pro8 isn’t working properly for you, we may want to try sending you a pretested replacement. If you’re interested in trying that let me know and I can contact you privately via email to request some information from you.

Best wishes.

Josh,
Thanks for the reply. Let me try to play with this over the weekend and see if I can figure it out. I’d hate to send it back since it seems like everything else just works (the NIC, audio, etc.) and I could just be doing something stupid.

Thanks,
Steve

Sounds good. Keep me in the loop.

Best wishes,
Josh

Josh,
So I figured out what this is, and it’s a little strange. What seems to happen is that if you connect the Pro8 on boot, the DVI output is choppy and really unresponsive. If however you wait until the Stream 7 has finished booting and then attach the DVI connection, things work fine. Maybe the CPU load on boot causes the tablet to auto-negotiate the compression rate down or something?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for testing this for me, it helps point us towards a solution.

I’ll do some testing and report back as soon as I can.

Best,
Josh