Printer Not recognized

Hi all. I just got the UD-3900, and for some reason my Epson ET-2550 printer is not recognized when it is plugged into the docking station. The station is plugged into my Dell Inspiron 5570 with the latest Windows 10 updates.

The printer works fine when plugged into the computer, so I know it is not the printer. Any assistance would be most gratefully accepted!

Thanks!

Hello and thank you for posting!

I am sorry things are not working as expected while using your new Plugable UD-3900 docking station and I would be happy to help.

We have encountered rare cases where a USB printer (especially a ‘multi-function’ printer like yours) may not work as expected when connected to the dock due to how the printer’s software driver works.

To expand further, if the printer driver was installed when the printer was directly connected to a USB port built-in to the laptop the printer may not be recognized by the printer driver when it is later connected to an external USB hub of any kind (not just our dock).

Uninstalling the printer software provided by the printer manufacturer and then reinstalling can often help.

As a first step, I would recommend disconnecting the printer from your setup. I would then recommend completely uninstalling the Epson software driver for the printer on your system, and then rebooting your laptop.

Once rebooted, please re-install the Epson software driver and when doing so connect the printer to the UD-3900 docking station to see if that changes the behavior.

Apologies again for the frustration, and please let us know if that information helps!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Thank you so much for the reply Pluga_Bob.

As it turns out, I managed to get it working but not by this method.

Before you had a chance a reply I found another thread in these discussion boards where someone had something similar going on. That made me think I had perhaps installed it incorrectly.

Sure enough, when I did exactly the steps in exactly the order outlined by Mitchell, the printer was recognized, and continues to be even after hibernation.

https://support.plugable.com/t/installation-issues/18985/2

Not sure why the UD-3900 didn’t come with installation instructions–I bought it new–but it all worked out in the end.

Thanks again for your detailed reply. I very much appreciate your time & effort!

Thank you for getting back to us with the update, and we appreciate letting us know the details of the solution in this specific case.

Thank you for your patience throughout the process, and please have a good day!

Bob