Possible bad dock? -USB3-SATA-U3

I have the USB 3.0 dock attached to a USB 3.0 port on a Win7 system. The dock has worked with some hiccups occasionally but most of the time it just needed to be reconnected. However lately the drive seems to drop out and I cant access it, reconnecting does nothing though windows sees the device via the icon on the system tray but not as an accessible drive in my windows explorer. Or even worse it doesnt even allow access at all.

So generally its gone from occasionally flaky to consistently flaky. Is there a firmware update or something I can do to test it? Im 100% sure the HDD is not the problem as I recently installed it on a internal header to check since it was acting up so much and it works perfectly.

Hi Dave-

Thanks for posting with your issue- I’m sorry to hear about the increasing frequency of disconnects on your U3.

Can you say what the serial number on your device is- it’s on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. Using a USB 2.0 cable/connection instead may also help you “get by” until we find a more permanent solution.

Please let me know on the serial number and I can recommend the next steps.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Hey Jeff,
Sorry to take so long to respond. Ive been traveling out of the country. Anyways the serial is 8477002502096

Hi Dave-

No worries on the delayed response, thanks for verifying your serial number!

For your version of the U3, we’ve found that:

1. USB 2.0 should be a reliable fall-back until we can get USB 3.0 stable.
  2. USB 3.0 Host controller driver updates often help with disconnects.

If you have any questions about updating USB 3.0 host controller drivers for your system, just send the output from the DisplayLink support tool to support@plugable.com with a link to this thread, and I can recommend an updated version for you. Since the support tool was designed for another purpose, disregard any compatibility warnings/errors, it’s just a quick way to get this relevant information.

http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

Please let me know if you’ve any other questions!

Best wishes-

Jeff