Pluggable USB-C NVMe enclosure keeps disconnecting / not recognizing disk / working slow via USB|C on Windows 10

Hi,
I’ve bought yesterday Pluggable NVMe enclosure for my WD SN55 1TB M.2 NVMe drive.

I wanted to have external (fast) storage, where I can keep my tiff/raw files from camera and from where I can also edit them.

When I received my enclosure I’ve connected it straight away to the computer (with disk inside). Unfortunately disk was not recognized by the system. I’ve decided to read Pluggable support page for drivers or something like that. I know it’s USB controller and should be working without any additional drivers… but it wasn’t working at (drive not recognized) all so…

I’ve downloaded new firmware version and upgraded my controller straight away, without having my disk inside. After the upgrade disk has been recognised. Not straight away but after a few tries (disconnect/connect). Unfortunate I was still unable to format it. Each time when I tried, system disconnected drive from usb. Finlay I’ve tried to format it with my phone (android) as exFAT with success.

Then again I’ve tried to connect controller via UBC/C to my laptop. It was showing empty drive. THen I’ve tried to use BitLocker to protect drive. Again… no luck. It keeps disconnecting during the process. Just after 1min maybe.

I’ve asked my friend to borrow me her laptop and… finally I was able to format drive as NFTS. THen again I connected drive to my laptop and encrypted it with BitLocker. Not the whole drive, but part of if which was used. So it went quick…

From that time drive is more less working, but then when I’m trying to copy some files it keeps disconnecting. This is driving me crazy… not to even mentions speed which is around 30-40MB/s. I wanted to have fast drive, that why I’ve bought M.2 NVMe not 2.5" SSD.

Now I have no idea what should I do? If I should return Pluggable enclosure and replace it with Sabrent (maybe?) one? Or get rid of NVMe drive and buy 2.5" SSD?

The reason why I have M.2 NVMe is that I wanted something small, fast and something which will be at least a bit safer during my trips than 2.5" hard drives.

My Pluggable enclosure is based on Realtek RTL9210 chipset not JMicron JMS583.

Thanks!

Here is the output from upgrade.

Device : WDC WDS1 00T2B0C-00PXH0 #0

U2PHY : 02 f4 9b e0 e1
U3PHY : 02 d4 09 00 d5 00 80
VID : 0x0bda
PID : 0x9210
MANUFACTURE : “Realtek”
PRODUCT : “RTL9210”
SERIAL : “012345678909”
SCSI_PRODUCT : “n/a”
SCSI_VENDOR : “n/a”
CFEXPRESS : 0x00
LED : 0x01
PINMUX1 : 0x00070000
PINMUX2 : 0x00000000
U2_MAXPWR : 0xfa
U3_MAXPWR : 0x70
ASPMDIS : 0x00
PCIE_REFCLK : n/a
PCIE_PWRCUT_THRES : n/a
SWR_1_2V : n/a
EN_UPS : n/a
PD : n/a
CUSTOMIZED_LED : n/a
SUSPEND_LED_OFF : n/a
FORCE_USB_SPEED : n/a
FORCE_PCIE_SPEED : n/a
FORCE_USB_QUIRK : n/a
FORCE_PCIE_QUIRK : n/a
FAN : n/a
DIS_SHOW_EMPTY_DISK : n/a
FORCE_SATA_NORMAL_DMA : n/a
UART_DBG_PIN : n/a
FINGER_PRINT_EN : n/a
EFUSE :
00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
-------------------------------------------------
0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
10 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
20 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
30 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
40 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
50 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
60 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
70 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
80 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
90 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
a0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
b0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

Boot Mode : Flash NM
FW Ver : 1.20.12
FW Build Date : 2020.02.12
IC Ver : 0xa0010001
IC Pkg Type : PCIE
UUID : ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff

Disconn_ForceUSB2 : 0x00

Hi Joe,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Based on your description the enclosure was working correctly on a second computer and was functional when connected to the phone, this points to a potential problem when connected to the primary computer.

Does your primary computer have both USB-A and USB-C ports, if so please try connecting the included USB-A to USB-C cable first to the computer’s USB-A port, then connect the enclosure to the USB-C cable end.

Please let me know if this helps to improve stability and speed and we can go from there.

Thank you, I look forward to your replay.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.