Pluggable USA-2K-A - ghost images remain on monitors

Hello,

I have a 3 Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 connected to my HP Envy-15 laptop and driving 3 external DVI monitors. Everything was running just fine until the latest driver update, after which I am getting ghost images remaining on my external monitors after I exit some programs. I have to click on these ghost images to make them disappear. Is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks for your help…

Hi Dan,

Sorry you’re seeing a problem. This is the first we’ve heard of this type of effect. The HP Envy 15 has ATI graphics (Radeon HD5830, HD4850, or HD4830 depending on model)

A few quick questions:

* When you click on ghost image, does it disappear all at once, or do you have to drag the mouse or a window over the area to “erase” it?
* Do you know what DisplayLink driver version you were on previously? And is it the latest (version 5.6) now? (easiest way to see version is in “Programs and Features” control panel, look at Version column for “DisplayLink Core Software”)
* If you try to take a screenshot of the ghosting (with the Windows 7 snipping tool), can you capture it and post it here? If the snipping tool doesn’t capture the ghosting, can you take a picture with a camera and post?
* Can you run msinfo32 then go to components->display and copy that info here?

Thanks for this additional info – it will help us figure out what’s going on.

Again, apologies and thanks for your patience!
Bernie

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for a quick response.

To clarify, I do have a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830 display adapter. Here are the answers to your questions:

* When you click on ghost image, does it disappear all at once, or do you have to drag the mouse or a window over the area to “erase” it?

I have to drag a mouse over the image and it disappears all at once.

* Do you know what DisplayLink driver version you were on previously? And is it the latest (version 5.6) now? (easiest way to see version is in “Programs and Features” control panel, look at Version column for “DisplayLink Core Software”)

I am not sure what version I was running before, since it installed automatically when I connected the adapters (I am assuming it was the latest version before the last update). A few weeks ago I was prompted automatically to update the Plugable drivers. The current version is 5.5.29055.0. When I right click on the Plugable icon on the bottom right of my screen and select “check for updates”, I am informed that I am running the latest drivers and that no updates are available.

* If you try to take a screenshot of the ghosting (with the Windows 7 snipping tool), can you capture it and post it here? If the snipping tool doesn’t capture the ghosting, can you take a picture with a camera and post?

Attached…

* Can you run msinfo32 then go to components->display and copy that info here

Name ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830 Series
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A1&SUBSYS_1522103C&REV_00\4&1332C8BB&0&0018
Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x68A1), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830 Series
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers atiu9p64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,atiu9pag,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version 8.712.0.0
INF File oem48.inf (ati2mtag_Manhattan section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD4100000-0xD41FFFFF
I/O Port 0x00004000-0x00004FFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967285
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys (8.14.1.6099, 184.50 KB (188,928 bytes), 5/18/2010 2:37 PM)

Again, thank you for your attention to this issue…

Dan!](https://sslproxy.getsatisfaction.com/sslproxy/SWhAdDNLMG5zdGFuVGlWenmLbJDGd3CABhjZermgcystANA4T6nd0pzV0fSzBRRGOd17A4b8ZLwi6-HESbXI0idh2H-phkuLdnDjX_ZFW36x7LzUVnPHvfrS9EaonNtaEcRO_rfKcMzSF2o7Wzi7oQ==.JPG)](http://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/436081/IMG_0564.JPG)

Just as something quick to check, we’d recommend upgrading to the latest DisplayLink drivers (Version 5.6 available here http://displaylink.com/support/downlo…)

Just to set expectations - it may not fix the problem, if DisplayLink hasn’t seen this issue.

But if it doesn’t work, we’ll at least be able to get you a short-term workaround by uninstalling “DisplayLink Core Software” from Programs and features, then re-installing the prior version (that last version on Windows Update prior to yours was version 5.2 M3 dated 8 December 2009, available here: http://displaylink.com/support/downlo… ). And then we can work with DisplayLink to make them aware of this.

Can you give that a try?

Thanks again for your patience until we get rid of the annoyance of this ghosting!
Bernie

Ok, I just installed the latest DisplayLink driver (version 5.6). I had to go to the site and download it, since it does not update automatically, like the previous version did. It will take me a couple of days to test to see if the problem remains. I will update this thread with the results once I to some testing with the new driver.

Thanks again!

Dan

They new driver seems to have fixed this problem. I will update this thread if I come across this issue again.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for coming back around to provide that update - a big help for future users. Very glad the version 5.6 driver fixed the issue. Thank you for your patience in getting to that solution!

Bernie